Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Ok everybody!  The Seagull 25th Anniversary Mahogany Spruce has arrived...

Ron brought it into the lab for me to see...

Here's a closer view of the front...

Beautiful back...

Headstock...

Ron won't forget which case his guitar is in either...wait - he's only got the 1...

I sat and played it for about 10 minutes - I was at work after all...;-)  Strings haven't been changed yet, but BEAUTIFUL tone.  Really looks like it just came off the rack at a guitar store.  Great action - I might have detected a very, very slight twist to the neck, but that's what the adjustable truss rod is for.  Can't tell while playing, so it must be minor indeed...

This guitar is a blend of today's Maritime and Artist series, IMHO.  No mother-of-pearl seagulls or pin inserts, but the headstock and tuning machines remind me more of today's Artist series.  I would consider this to be a most successful, sight-unseen (well, at least in-person-unseen) purchase.

BTW, this is Ron's first guitar!  Can you imagine starting off on this?  JEALOUSY!!!  I'd be Tommy Emmanuel now!  Well, maybe not, but I'd be better... ;-)

So, what do you guys think?

Views: 3361

Replies to This Discussion

oooh... shiny.... mmmmm...

And I thought I had scored with S6 Rosewood...Beautiful!!!

That's a great guitar.  I would have bought one myself when they came out but I really wanted the Maple version.  Your 25th Anniversary is all solid wood and you got a TRIC case too.  Excellent!

While I'm glad to have this thread resurrected, I am unfortunately not the owner of this beauty - there was another thread where Bob Tylka (who sold my friend Ron this guitar) had posted the 25th Anniversary for sale.  Ron was actively communicating with a shop in NC where Walt Pilcher had his S6 on consignment - if they had answered his e-mail faster, he would have bought Walt's...

In any event, when Bob posted this 25th Anniversary Seagull for sale, I mentioned it to Ron - the cost difference was not an issue for him (lucky Ron...), and this guitar was on "a whole 'nother level", as they say - so Ron bought it.

Alas, I don't think he has yet started to learn/play - a tragedy for that nice guitar - and it sounds really nice...

I'll have to light a fire under him... ;-)

Nice 1st guitar!  I graduated to this guitar after 30 years of tinkering. If that one sounds like mine he will never need another.

I have put L.R. Baggs passive ibeam pickup in mine, but you can't tell by looking.

So what do you guys think. Install a strap nut or not?

If you play sitting down, forget it, but if you plan to play standing up, I  would deifinitely go with the strap button on the heel.  I personally cannot stand the way the strap gets in the way of some open chords when I string it from the headstock just above the nut. As you can see from my avitar photo, I haven't yet taken my own advice, LOL, but it's not as annoying when I have the capo on.

Have you tried one of those little leather things that go around the headstock just above the nut and provide a button to hook your strap over?  I usually sit while playing, but that didn't stop my friend with the S6 left from buying me a Seagull strap and one of those leather things - mine is made by Martin.  The strap is for my Performer (which has a strap button) - I've got the little leather thing on my Giannini Craviola, which doesn't have a strap button...neither does his S6 left...seems to work better than the leather ties - or the "shoelaces" that come with the more inexpensive straps...

I have a Planet Waves "snap-on thingy" where a short piece of cord goes around the headstock above the nut (staying on the guitar) and has half the snapping mechanism attached, while the longer piece loops through the hole in the strap and has the other half of the snap.  Either way, I don't think it would matter much what it was made of, it just gets in the way and bothers me on certain open chords on the first fret.  As I say, though, when I capo it's not an issue and that's most of the time ...

Went out and bought the Planet Waves "Acoustic Quick-Release" tonight at GC. Not a bad item, I will probably pick-up a another to make it quicker to switch strap between guitars.

I'll repeat this from above - "Can you imagine starting off on this?  JEALOUSY!!!  I'd be Tommy Emmanuel now!  Well, maybe not, but I'd be better... ;-)"

What the...   I just saw one of these for sale somewhere..   Really nice, I'm jealous....

Here is what I have used in the past. I made the leather strap and tie.  

Is there any problem with strapping the guitar in this fashion?

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service