Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I am thinking of buying a 12 string to add some options for songwriting and recording projects. I am looking for something that plays well (many 12 strings are a bear), intonates well, sounds good, and has electronics. I am OK with either a solid or laminate guitar if it fits the criteria. Any suggestions.

Views: 8186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey there Tom

I looked and looked just like you. I Played every 12 string I could get my hands on and I could not find a 12 string that I liked, that felt comfortable, and had the sustain I was looking for. Then I came across Walden Guitar,  They have some great Guitars I found the Natura Series D552, http://www.waldenguitars.com/D552.html, and it was every thing I was looking for and more. a couple of my frineds have played it and they are inpressed what a great feeling guitar it is it is very playable and it is afordable. I did not find a guitar near this price that played like it. I would put it up against some of the Breedlove and Martin, Lower end of coarse guitars and I think it would hold its own.  Needless to say I have now been so lucky as to add it to my collection Merry Christmas to me.  I wish you luck in your quest for your new 12 string and I hope this helps you to see that there are some great guitars out there and you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good Solit Top 12 string.  Good Luck and a very happy and Guitar Filled New year to you.

George.

George -

I am considering a Walden T550 for my daughter for her birthday (February 21st).  Unfortunately, I have no near-to-me Walden dealer.  I've seen no bad reviews, however, and it seems similar to a Taylor GS Mini, but at significantly lower cost.  Have you seen/played a Walden T550 in your travels? 

Here's a nice Breedlove 12:

And the link:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/breedlove-c25-sse-12-2011-natural-gloss

Not under $1,000 :-(

I have not played the T550. I did however play the lower line the D550 and thought it to be a nice feel. I have been very inpresse by Walden and the other new comer LAG. they both seem to be very well built guitars at a lower price point but with great quality, sound and a wonderful feel on the Neck. and the Walden guitars try to be a responsible guitar company and use Renewable resources where ever possible.  if you get the T550 Drop me a line and let me know what you think of it. If it has the quality of my new D512 I am sure you will be happy with the new guitar.  as for the Breedlove. yes they are great guitars. but at a much higher price point but they are both Chinese maid and US set up and quality control. I wanted the Breedlove but when I played the Walden with its price difference and great sound it won out.

Thanks George!  I just posted the Breedlove picture because it is a 12-string guitar discussion...I already have my Giannini Craviola... :-)

I recommend the Martin D12X1AE ... sells on the street for only about $700 and has a great sounding solid sitka top.  Curiously though, the reason I like this particular 12-string is because of the non-traditional construction.  I think that all the material issues that usually steer people away from the "X" series Martins, become beneficial in the 12-string.   It has a practically indestructible stratabond neck and the back and sides are made of super-durable high-pressure laminate (HPL) which in my personal opinion should help to withstand the greater string tension that is present in a 12-string when tuned to pitch.  And ... onboard electronics are included!

Check it out here: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=...

Turns out the dealer I bought a Taylor from also sells Walden. I will have to check them out. I'll probably try to spend a little more time with the Martin as well. I did play it but at the time I wasn't considering purchasing a 12 string. Thanks for the suggestions.

A 12-string is a whole different and wonderful animal!  Happy Hunting!

If you see a Walden T550, give it a play for me... ;-)

I will do that.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service