Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

How many players: always use a flatpick; sometimes use a flatpick, or never? How many play with a thumbpick and/or finger picks? For what type of music?

Views: 4929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Flat pick most everything; do some fingerpicking sans pics.

Jay P.

I fingerpick with my thumb and three fingers on some things, and use a flatpick (Dunlop delrin 1.0)  on others.  Anyone got a tip on what to do when you want to start a song fingerpicking and switch to a pick part way through?
If my memory serves me right mmmm in Claptons unplugged version of Nobody knows you... he picks up a pick from a little table, likely just forgot it. I've held a pick tween my fingers while fingerpicking quite tricky to change still.
I learned to flatpick the theme to "Bonanaza" when I was a teenager, but found it much easier fingerpick it or pluck that type of rolling run easier a bit later in life....three more appendages in motion—it just doesn't have as distinct a sound. I geneally only use a pick for acoustic volume when playing with others and marvel at folks who can wield a flatpick with great speed and precision.
I'm fairly new to using a pick but recently my brother and his son came up for a visit and they showed me some tricks! The son had a Les Paul copy and he always used a pick, and I've always thought that a pick was only for electric guitars-even though my acoustic came with three! So now I'm trying to use one as much as I can-just cant decide which I prefer, light medium or heavy!

While I mostly play classical-style, on electric guitar for jazz and rock I like the flat pick. I use different gauges for different purposes: heavier for a fat tone for playing single-note lines, lighter for strumming passages. Jim Hall does a similar thing. Try all three gauges and decide which ones sound best in which situations.

I use a flat pick about 50% of the time. Some songs are better with finger style while some just work with a pick or a hybrid style of pick and fingers.

flatpick here, 9 years in and never could seem to get finger style. I love the sound though so hopefully one day :P

I finger pick a few songs but some sound better with a flat pick, so for me it depends on the song mostly, I tried a thumb pick but was sort of awkward, I normally use a softer pick (under 1mm) so the the thumb pick was a bit too hard, so I really didn't give it a chance.  Also I find if I'm playing wirth a few folks, sort of jammin, a pick is easier to keep up with the song.

Im trying to grow my nails for flatpicking, also strengthening them with varnish and vitamin pills.

I always use a Doyle Dykes thumbpick or just my fingers if I am

playing softly.

Hybrid picking for me, just can't get used to a thumbpick.  But I like to be able to go from Travis picking style to lead style and having a flat pick really helps for that and just works better for me personally.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2016   Created by Acoustic Guitar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service