Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Just throwing this out there for a few folks looking for something new, or a fine beater to have around.

I have some great expensive guitars, but again with the expensive ones; you just don't want to play them regularly unless you getting paid (which I'm not).  I have them for their beauty and sound and love to play them occasionally; but wanted something more practical and that I could enjoy.

I have had an A&L Cedar Dread now for about 15 years and it was getting worn out.  I went out and got the Epiphone EJ-200 Sunburst model, put some Medium strings on it and fell in love with the thing, and play the &@%^ out of it.

Well, I was wanting something to have around at work.  Every time I saw the EJ-200 "Artist" model, I always picked it up and took it for a whirl.  Yep, it may be a stripped down version of the regular 200, no etching on the pickgruard, no fancy mustache bridge, no go tuners, no solid top; but it plays/sounds/feels amazing.

I have had multiple players come by work and play it and all of them said they were also gonna head out and buy them one.

The thing only cost $200 and I don't believe you will find a better deal or better sounding/playing guitar in that range.

Actually, MF has them for $150 now.  Guess I should have waited a week before I picked one up, but I got a great deal at GC in NOLA because I traded some stuff in and with the 10% discount, I only had to pay about $30 for it anyway. 

Unless  your a hard core "Its gotta be a solid top, etc" kinda of player.  This is an amazing guitar for the money.

Views: 2166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just looked at the Musicians Friend "Jan" 2012 catalog on line and they are putting this jewel back up at $200.  Right now they are still $125. The Natural is a beauty and I'm sitting here at work today playing the crap out of mine since it is a slow day.  Anyone looking for a fantastic beater, look no further.  Again, with the Solid Top vs Laminate.  Maybe the Sunburst ones are laminate, but my Natural one and from what I can see other Natural owners will swear they are Solid tops.  I have thoroughly inspected mine from outside to inside, top to bottom and it's a solid top.  Love the thing.

Great! Funny thing. I just picked up a black used EJ off of E-bay. $125 with shipping. Seems that Gibson/ Epiphone are having problems with setting action. Both EJ's are a touch too low, buzz. I've been playing some Gibson J200's with the same problem.

On both of mine, I had to shim the saddle; but only just a small amount. Both of them have medium strings, and on my regular EJ I had to pretty much loosing the whole neck and shim and it is perfect now, and on the artist I just had to barely shim the saddle and a slight neck adjustment and it's pretty much OK.  The artist was only buzzing on the B and high E strings at the 10th fret but the slight shim did the trick.  A few who play it say it could be lower, but they kinda tinker at notes on it, where as I strum real hard and have a hard dig for lead riffs and its fine for me.

I spoke to soon, they have since went back to $200 from this morning to this afternoon.  I just clicked the link to see and by golly they raised the prices.

Don't you just hate that?

Thats Gibson for ya! But even so 200 dollies is a steal for such a guitar!

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service