Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

but I was wondering why classical guitars don't get more attention in the magazines (be it reviews, string sales, etc) . I now that you can play any kind of music on one, so why is it that the dreadnaughts , & other kinds get all the press. Also, the strings are a bit of a pain to find sometimes.,

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

bet it sounds great!
Agree. I started out, in the mid-60s - with rock and roll. E-A-D... you're ready for your first gig! Try THAT on a classical where you're playing all alone and the neck is really wide and you have to keep your thumb behind the neck. And look at the proliferation of microwave ovens, fast food, TV dinners, and instant tea. I always wondered how a society that existed on such instantly fulfilling items can possibly teach patience and appreciation to its youth. Carrying it further, the most popular method of music notation is tablature versus standard notation. It's just plain harder to learn classical. But that's exactly why I love it. Nothing worth my time and soul is going to be easy but the rewards are indescribable to anyone who has not tried it. Two things: another source for strings is juststrings.com. And I love to play the blues. My classical training has helped a lot in that area and, yes, I absolutely do play blues on my classical guitar! I have other guitars, of course, but even Willie Nelson appreciates the wonderful tone of nylon strings. Which brings me to my last note: Ever watch the movie "Crossroads?" The guitarist plays classical and gets into Julliard because of it, loves blues and ends up in a guitar contest with Satan's protege'. He finally wins by blending his soul-inspired blues (which he learns along the way through life experiences) with his classical knowledge and ability to blow the doors off his competitor upon whom the Devil has bestowed phenomenal playing. I guess what I'm saying is if you love music, if you love the guitar, don't limit yourself to one type of music as many of the R&R folks have done. It's a poor soul that can reach out in only one direction. Thoughts?
Ho, ho!
Tablatures have been used for plucked string instruments music for centuries. Lots of baroque pieces for lute were written in tablatures. I do think that the standard notation is very good for keyboards, and other instruments, but tablatures are excellent for guitar music. So, my opinion is that tablatures are here to wear and tear. They may be easier to read than the standard notation, and that helps to their popularity, but that's NOT the only reason. They really are very adequated to the instrument.
I don't think that classic is superior to other guitar styles. If you take the violin, for instance, you have some popular music tradition associated to the instrument (East European, Irish/American, Gypsy), but the Classic school comprehends almost all the techniques you find in those popular styles. But, when it comes to the guitar, things are different. Popular styles lead the way, and the Classic school can't absorb all the contributions. That's what makes the guitar a living instrument, no school can claim to be superior to the others. In guitar world, Classic is just one more school, one more style, and there are lots of territories beyond it. That makes the vitality of the guitar. It's a very democratic instrument!
Ah! And, if I remember well, the use of a bottleneck helped the "hero" to win the challenge in "Crossroads". So, I agree: expand your guitar playing in all directions!

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service