Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

If you could only own ONE acoustic for the rest of your life ...

What would you choose and why?  Money is no obstacle for this discussion! 

Remember, just one ... for the rest of your life.  Period.

PS:  I know it's a hard question, LOL.  But, that's why it make an interesting point of discussion. 

Views: 6242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Lyle!

I do understand your point of view. However, at the beginning of this discussion, there was a statement: Money is no obstacle.

Now, did you have some specific instrument in mind, that you would be temped to buy? 

Or - cruel question - if you had to choose only one, which one of your guitars would you choose ? 

Or - still worse - having chosen one (only one, that is the starting point of the discussion), do you think that particular guitar is the very one that really suits you best or, on the contrary, have you already heard, or tried, other instrument that you'd rather take "to honor and respect until death will part you"?

I'm not that surprised that people choose the guitar they already own.  I think that a good guitar and player sort of adapt to each other, the wood adapts to the frequencies we play the most and our ears adapt to expect the sounds the guitar makes.  The neck of my guitar used to be a matte finish but is now polished from use, my fingers find the notes most easily on that neck than any other, and the tone is great.  I've had my Taylor 714 for nearly 15 years and it suits me very well.  Of course, I can't help myself, when I visit my favorite guitar shops, from picking up very expensive small shop guitars and the truth is that while they are nice, very few of them wow me.  There's always something, the string spacing, the neck shape, the way it sits in my lap, it's out of tune, the balance (tonally and physically), etc...   My guitar and I are familiar.  I have others, and they're fine, but I'll be hard pressed to replace my Taylor with something that is as satisfying as that one.

Because they are already comfortable playing their own guitar.  I understand totally.  It takes a long time(sometimes years) to become totally comfortable with a new instrument.  I have a carbon fiber Adamas that is tough as nails and I love how it plays.  There are lots of more expensive guitars, but for the way I play, mine is the best.

Good and interesting questions Luis.  I don't have the answers.  I'd *like* to think that a lot of acoustic guitarists are not so much afraid of the unknown but are basically just happy people, content with what they already have in a guitar and perhaps in life.  Playing our guitars makes us happy.  

This thread certainly has me curious about Rainsong - never even seen much less played one.  I would love an indestructable version my Martin OM-21. None of the local dealers around here carry Breedlove either which I've heard good things about and would like to play someday.  I guess I fall into the category of "unaware, or unconvinced, of the quality of the instruments they don't own".  Cheers.

I have tried Rainsong guitars and I must admit they sound great. It proves, as with both Bob Taylor's pallet guitar and Bob Benedetto's pine guitar, that the material the guitar is made out of is not as important as how the guitar is built. The high price tag of the Rainsongs are beyond my budget for the moment but, if I had the money, I'd love to have one. I don't really care so much for the patterns impressed in their graphite construction but, I'd live with it considering how good they sound and play.

From what I've played so far I'd have to go with my Martin OM-28V.  Everything, tone, smell, playability, fit and finish, etc.  I liken playing it to having a good conversation with a stranger.  Every time I take it out I learn something new about myself or the instrument.

I'll second that!

Hey Jud,

Interesting discussion here....I too own the one guitar I would want for the rest of my life but for very different reasons....Its a custom Taylor 610, plays and sounds like a great Taylor and is getting better and better with age. the 610's are flamed maple with a sitka spruce top. I got some custom inlay work and it has an ebony fingerboard with flamed koa binding. One sweet guitar but what makes it special for me.....I am a forester, work for a timber company in Washington state and we harvested a figured maple tree and my friends at Pacific Rim Tonewoods turned that same tree into a back and sides set and they gave me a very special bear claw spruce top and Taylor turned that into my own guitar. Sweet....I play a guitar made from a tree we harvested. This definitely will be a treasured family heirloom.... I am a blessed man!

Cheers!

Bill

Ahhhh... are you sure I can't have two? Never mind the money part, it would be a real tough decision - a toss up between two I already have, my Gibson and my Fullerton. On one hand, the J50 is an old friend that's been with me since I was a kid, through many coffeehouses and late night writing sessions, not to mention the huge sentimental value it has. On the other hand, my Fullerton has the same sort of value to me, although I've only had it for about 6 years. It's sound and beauty is amazing and the fact I literally stumbled across it by chance makes it a very special instrument, the gold nugget everyone hopes to find sometime in their life. I think you've opened up a real can o' worms for me with this question...

I have always wanted to buy one of these for myself.

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/ship123/DSC02241small.jpg[/IMG]

Any one of his builds would be a great collection to my guitars I have had the greatest pleasure in playing with a couple but the price was always just right out of my reach, not always by much but enough for me to have to pass on those that I have seen for sale.They just play as well as you can imagine, its almost as if they make the music by themselfs.

Here is a link for you who have never seen one of his guitars.

http://www.ryanguitars.com/home/home1.htm

Ship

I would have to say my dream guitar is The Batson Grand Concert.  Custom shop made with some sort of exotic wood combination.

http://batsonguitars.com/index.php/gallery/

No one guitar does it all, at least in my experience, for my needs and uses.

While I can understand the thought experiment of choosing just one guitar, reality dictates that most (nearly all?) players will have more than one instrument, and if they don't have multiple instruments, they will want an additional guitar, or two or three.

I simply can't imagine having only one guitar.  I have many, and there are logical and intelligent reasons (at least to me) for having them.  The reason is simple:  No one guitar does it all.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service