Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Hello there, AGies!

I'm new to the community, but have been playing guitar way longer than my abilities suggest.. going on 45 years.. but just acquired a dream guitar from my "youth"... a mint Gurian S2M from 1976..

Anyone else out there own one.. or other model.. I'm trying to get some details on orignal recommendations for string gauge or setup info. on this elusive instrument... can't seem to find out a lot about them.. or the builder, Michael Gurian.. though I understand he is considered to be one of the early boutique builders and mentor to a number of renowned modern luthiers.. Froggy Bottom, Cumpiano, and others. Maybe trade some sound clips?

Views: 6328

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, a beauty! I've got a JM, but I keep looking to add a smaller-bodied model (and S3 or S2) for less raucous styles like fingerpicking....

Bob... If you are serious about a small Gurian.... might I suggest a MINT.. '76 S2M... I have found a guitar that fits my chubby digits perfectly (Lowden O12c) and have to find a new home for my erstwhile fretted love-interest to help pay for the new mistress (ssshhh!..the Gurian's probably listening! )..

Contact me offline at rjmulligan@snet.net for additional info.or to chat..

Regan

Attachments:

this ones for sale, too many guitars, not enough playing time.

acousdoc@dwx.com

Well, it seems that the community has taken a hiatus for a while,,, hopefully it is only the summer doldrums and the

abhorence of touching a sticky / swollen neck that has us staying away..

But I am still trying to find a new home for my '76 S2M - sulking in the basement... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know of an alternate showcase to display the instrument for sale.. Still love 'em, but I have to accept that my aging hands no longer fit .. any comments.. please forward to rjmulligan@snet.net.. Best regards to all.

Regan 

Hi Regan - I just got a C series S2M fixed up and am enjoying it at home.  I might as well enjoy it - in this market, it's unlikely I could recover the cash I've got tied up in it.  Have you modified the price on yours since we last spoke?  You can contact me off the board if you'd like, nosnhojbd@yahoo.com.  By the way, remember that Lowden I had for sale?  It took my luthier about 30 seconds to take off the Pearse arm rest!  He didn't even charge me, and there was absolutely no sign it was ever there.  I suspected that would be the case, but of course until I saw it done I couldn't make that guarantee.  Best, David

I own a JM purchased in the late seventies ($450 w/ case, C2223 ). It still is in great shape. It has a lovely mellow sound.

A few years ago I bought a S2RH, 3 piece back (C3361) on ebay. There was a bit of bellying so I brought it in for repair. Some of the glue came loose on the bracing. It was fixed and turns out to be is a very nice guitar. The finish is checked so the guitar has a yellow antique look.

I use light strings.

Always nice to hear about the history of yet a few more of these guitars.  Some of us try to track serial and model numbers, and the information available on line is getting better and better.

Hi David, I am new to the forum and I just acquired a Gurian S2M D2259 from my 91 year old aunt a couple of days ago. She purchased it used in April 1983 in Chicago where she lives. She played it for a couple of years and put it in a closet where it has been since then. I have the card signed by Michael Gurian that came with it. The only thing that I can find wrong with it is a broken high E string and a ding in the bottom of the body. It does need a good cleaning and polishing. Can you or someone in the forum recommend something that I can use to do this. I think it is in the original case that it was sold in.   If anyone wants to respond to me directly you can use cdvnsdv@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help.

David and all,

In an attempt to acquire some space in my office and concentrate on instruments I will truly play more than once a year, I am going to sell my J-M and my S2R3.  The S2 was purchased from these pages and the J-M from a lady in Dallas who had bought the guitar originally in Mass.

The J-M is without blemish on the top and there is but one small light indentation on the back that is actually not visible without the proper lighting.  The S2 was restored recently.  Both have had the action worked on and neither is is need of a neck reset.

I am still looking for a respectable S3R or B.

Prices are $2000 for the J-M (original case in fine condition) and $2500 for the S2R (original case and paperwork).

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Al

In Sept. 2011, I purchased a Gurian JM SN C-1505 from an eBay seller. Seller did not provide any history, so I don't know how the guitar ended up in his possession. But the guitar is in excellent condition. 

I bought my first (and only Gurian) ca. 1974 in Portland OR. It was my first major purchase of a real guitar. I didn't know much about the Gurian line when I bought the guitar, but it played better than any of the Martins and other brands I tried out in the store. I always remembered the clear, sweet and full sound of that guitar. For years, it traveled with me up and down the coast, to Texas, and back. 

In January 1979, I drove from my home outside of Portland to a studio in Vancouver WA. It was a bitter, unusually cold winter day for the PNW. I didn't realize how cold until I got inside the studio and opened the case. Something didn't look right, then I saw that the split that circumnavigated the sides of the mahogany body. It was a setback, but I knew the instrument had a lifetime warranty. With the help of the local dealer, we got the instrument packed up and shipped to the factory, and they said I would be hearing directly from the factory.

After several weeks, I was starting to get a little antsy about getting my guitar back. In those days, we didn't have email, internet, or cell phones. So the only way I'd know where things stood was to use my land line to call the factory. That's when I discovered the tragedy of the fire. All guitars and equipment were lost, including my jumbo mahogany. 

The Gurian company was great about making compensation, but there were no Gurians available to replace mine. So we worked out some merchandise swap with the store. I got a variety of stuff, including a mic, an Ovation balladeer (a poor excuse for a guitar that I sold at a yard sale years later for $50), and sets of D'Angelico strings -- of which I still have a few sets remaining.

In early 1980 I moved to Nashville. Not long after I bought a Martin D-35, but I still missed that Gurian. Over the years, I kept secretly pining for a Gurian. But I got distracted by other things ("Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"), and one never showed up on the radar. I'm not a serious collector, just a player, but I'd occasionally keep an eye out for a Gurian. 

Who knew that more than three decades would go by before I'd act on that impulse. And buying a vintage guitar, sight unseen, on eBay was not an appealing thought. But I did pull the trigger, made an offer on a Jumbo Mahogany, and now man and guitar are happily reunited. Granted it's not the actual guitar, and my hearing is a little tarnished by age, but that Gurian produces the sweetest sound I've ever heard. It's a joy to play. 

Attachments:

Haven't forgotten about Gurians. I've been watching their sales with interest, and hoping to come across one locally to try. My ear typically tends to gravitate tonally toward mahogany. How do rosewood and mahogany Gurians compare? Is there tone similar to any modern day guitars? How's the fit on the 2SM (& R)? Is it similar to an OM or 00? Thanks.

David and all,

In an attempt to acquire some space in my office and concentrate on instruments I will truly play more than once a year, I am going to sell my J-M and my S2R3.  The S2 was purchased from these pages and the J-M from a lady in Dallas who had bought the guitar originally in Mass.

The J-M is without blemish on the top and there is but one small light indentation on the back that is actually not visible without the proper lighting.  The S2 was restored recently.  Both have had the action worked on and neither is is need of a neck reset.

I am still looking for a respectable S3R or B.

Prices are $2000 for the J-M (original case in fine condition) and $2500 for the S2R (original case and paperwork).

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

A

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service