Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Hello there, AGies!

I'm new to the community, but have been playing guitar way longer than my abilities suggest.. going on 45 years.. but just acquired a dream guitar from my "youth"... a mint Gurian S2M from 1976..

Anyone else out there own one.. or other model.. I'm trying to get some details on orignal recommendations for string gauge or setup info. on this elusive instrument... can't seem to find out a lot about them.. or the builder, Michael Gurian.. though I understand he is considered to be one of the early boutique builders and mentor to a number of renowned modern luthiers.. Froggy Bottom, Cumpiano, and others. Maybe trade some sound clips?

Views: 6060

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Bob...

I have the mint '76 S2M w\ OHSC and K&K mini western.. In New Haven CT, ~ 40mi from NYC... could even meet  if your friend is interested..That darn GAS!! 

Attachments:

Hi Gurian Owners,

Used to live in New Hampshire and, unfortunately, somehow missed out on discovering Gurians back then. How do you describe the sound of an S2M or S2R Gurian? How does it differ from other guitars you've played? How do they compare to an S3M or S3R? Which one is closer to an 00 or OM? How are they for strumming?

Thank you.

I'd put Gurians of comparable woods and size in the same camp with Goodall, Froggy Bottom and perhaps Fylde.  Emphasis on harmonics, overtones and balance.  One thing of particular note, Gurians don't get tinny or lose depth in the upper frets the way most guitars do.  Size 3 Gurians are roughly OM size, though the dimensions are a bit different. They have a history on stage and as recording guitars.  Size 2 Gurians are a bit smaller and totally lovable, but they work best in really intimate settings or the recording booth - the tone is so sweet you might not notice it at first, but play it next to a size 3 and you'll hear a bit more bottom end in the 3.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, come to think of it ... I like them all!  I've given a S2R to my youngest daughter.  I've got a S3R reserved for my older daughter (and another "keeper" S3R for me).  I once gave a S3M to my brother.  And I'm always on the prowl for a reasonably-priced S2M, since that's the guitar that taught me to love mahogany.  So although I gravitate to the S3R overall, I just can't leave you with the impression any of the others are somehow lacking.  They aren't.  For strumming, sing-alongs, personal couch play, etc., if you have access to a S2R or S2M, either will make you smile every time you pick it up.  If you're playing in a band or with other loud guitars, though, you might consider the size 3.

Coincidentally (says the infomercial), I'm listing a remarkably nice S3R on eBay later tonight ....

David

David,

Thanks for your information filled response. I certainly appreciate the wood and workmanship of a fine guitar. I have a Webber OM (mahogany b/s) which I like very much. While I'd certainly consider an S3R or S3M if the price is right, I may be looking more for the S2R or S2M for now. Yes, I'm looking for that couch guitar, not one to be played with other guitars. Thanks again.

Guitargarden...... if you're interested in a mint S2M, please contact me offline at rjmulligan@snet.net for pics or additional info.. 

Regan 

Here's an '76 S2M, double-tracked with a little reverb in ProTools.. it's fat with a high-end shimmer and lot's aof wood and overtones..Size-wise, I think their compared to a "grand concert" .. or an OM I would think...a little deeper in teh body, but a little narrower in the bouts than a 000. Here's the specs on mine..

Upper Bout              11 1/2"

Lower Bout              14 5/8"

Depth at Tail Block     4"

Depth at Neck Block     3 5/8"

Top                     Sitka Spruce

Back / Sides            Mahogany

Headstock               Brazilian Rosewood

Bridge                  Brazilian Rosewood

Fretboard               14/20 Ebony (dotless - side position markers)

Tuning Machines         Chrome Schaller

Nut/Saddle              Ivory

Binding                 Rosewood

Purfling                Herringbone

Long Scale              25.75"

Nut/Saddle Width        1 5/8", 2 1/4"

Attachments:

Great playing! I can definitely hear the highs, and some mids. Size-wise, the upper bout is the same as my Webber OM and the lower bout is 3/4" smaller. The depth is about the same (3 1/2" and 4", respectively). Not sure how the waist compares. How is your Gurian for sitting and strumming? Thanks.

I think that because the Gurian is a long scale, in mahogany the attack is almost explosive... so a great strumming guitar that has good dynamic range  and responsiveness.. and you can back off and because of the high end still cut through. It is also an excellent lead instrument.. great sustain to connect single note leads.. 'Course that's just my personal opinion. It's also a nice finger style instrument - particularly if you have slender fingers..

All good to know.Sounds like a versatile guitar! Are any strumming soundclips available? 

Personally, I would not compare any Gurian to conventional guitar styles like 000, OM etc. , its still different from anything else out there even after all these years.

The Gurian body has more in common with a deep bodied classical guitar (MG's initial instruments were classicals and ouds in the mid 1960s).

Its shape is very similar to a classical, it is fan braced instead of the usual x system (more volume!), its neck to body join employs no glue, fastened instead with two tapered ebony pins, its flamenco neck is faster than a standard acoustic neck and the scale length is the longest I have ever experienced with acoustic guitars. The truss rod system is a double tape-wrapped over and under system, even the headstock is unique.

That all culminates in a unique guitar that you really have got to play and feel to experience properly.

A Gurian has the sound, mojo, pedigree and character of an original.

Really informative and insightful comments.. Thanks for the contribution!.  Really significant points, I think, about the "hybrid" nature of the build.. I remember when we were selling them in the 70's that much was made about the "classical" bracing and the neck.. though I remember it being compared to a stratocaster rather than a flamenco..  
i have an s3m, d1979. great guitar, got it in the middle of a multi instrument trade. don't think the previous owner knew quite what it was--he had the jones for a pretty mediocre '67 D18, so he kept offering me instruments until i said yes
Attachments:

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service