Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Hi all, new member here hoping to get some help on an issue.

I picked up Seagull Cedar S6 that has a fairly significant bow at the first and second frets causing very high action. Had it adjusted by a local luthier who said its as good as its gonna get, but its still pretty bad.

Any suggestions for how to correct this? Can the neck be clamped and brought back in line?

You would think after playing for 25+ years I would have some experience in guitar repair or modification, but I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about it at all. I'm not looking to spend any money on this, just wondering if there's something I can do myself that might help.

Thanks!

Views: 490

Replies to This Discussion

Let a guitar techat least look at it.  For a small and worthwhile investment in a set-up, you may find that the action can be lowered and you will feel really good about the guitar lumps and all, ;-)

Already had my local guy take a crack at it Jud, nothing more can be done on the truss rod, so I think it's as good as it will get without spending some bucks...

Oh well.  For the amount you paid, if it plays pretty well, you can just enjoy it for what it is.  Sweet!

Just what I was thinking!

Also I won't flip out the next time I put a little ding in it, kind of the way I flipped out putting a little ding in my new Adamas THE VERY FIRST DAY I HAD IT!     :) 

Well, that does kind of get the whole thing out of the way... ;-)

Yup, had literally just got home with it, opened the case to show my wife, and promptly wacked the top on the corner of the coffee table. Barely even made a mark, but still...

Guess it did get it out of the way though. Many jams and outings have taken place since then with not another bruise of any sort. Maybe I should just do this right away with every guitar from now on? :)

Yep ... I got the little ding in my Martin pretty quickly thanks to a jealous old Harmony beater that keeled over and clipped it the first month.  I got over the ding in the Martin, but that lousy little Harmony ingrate was sold to the first guy with $20 at the neighborhood yard sale shortly thereafter.  I don't get mad ... I get even!!  ;-)

Haha, I love it!

Unfortunately, there's some logic to that...

I meant getting it out of the way...but there's logic to Jud's argument, too... ;-)

you could if you are into woodworking or want to learn     do the fretboard leveling and refretting it yourself  ..  there are a lot of resources to learn from ...    

I'd open tune it and leave it that way to use exclusively as a slide, lap or otherwise, then buy a good playing acoustic with your newly acquired wisdom.  Waddya' think?  It's fun to have a geetar you can still play after you bruise a fingertip.

I actually have several other nice acoustics, mostly Ovations (and one Adamas, which I'm head over heels in love with), that you can almost fret by just breathing on the neck, so I think I'm covered there. Open tunings is a good point though. I fool around a little with open D once in a while (Little Martha, stuff like that), but I've wanted to explore fingerstyle a bit more, so that's definitely an option...

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service