Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I owned my poor old 1967 Silvertone by Harmony for over 45 years and currently it's in the hands of Robert Stoner who is breathing new life into it after all the years of abuse it suffered in my "care."

What guitar have you owned the longest and do you still have it??

Views: 1315

Replies to This Discussion

My S12 Cedar Seagull was made in 1990 and I got it in the early 90's as a wedding anniversary present. I just took it into the local Motor City Guitar shop and had them look at it and evaluate the playability and soundness of the guitar. Good news is that it's in really good shape.

I keep it in the hard case when not playing it and I wipe it clean after every session with it. I did get some fretboard cleaner and conditioner and a new set of strings for it along with a humidifier, though I won't need that during our humid summer here in Michigan.

I played a couple of newer Seagull models one was for over a grand, I think it was a Signature model. I also played one that was about $500 or so and I liked it better than the fancier model. Both were six strings, which I don't have one at present. I was ready to go GAS on my wife but on fixed income and just could not! I was fortunate to get new strings! D'Addario lights.

I play regularly so I am very pleased my S12 Cedar got a clean bill of health! 

The Seagull Peppino D'Agostino signature model ($1,500 or so) has a 1.9 inch nut width which definitely would not be everyone's preference.

I'd like one... ;-)

I'm atsounded to hear this!  Shocked!!!

Hi, Jud!

If I understand you well, a 1.9 inch nut would be too narrow?

Well, this beauty has a 42 milimeter nut (a little less than 1,7 inch), but it has 12 strings...

Luis ... oh no! ... 1.9 would be too wide for most people.  Most people are quite satisfied with 1.68 and 1.75 is considered wide.  With Seagulls, they start at 1.72, go up to a standard of 1.8 and then have the special extra wide 1.9 on the Peppino D'Agostino Signature model.

PS:  That is one unique looking instrument in your photo.

The 1.9" nut on the Peppino D'Agostino model is the same width as that used on all Godin 12 string acoustics as well...

Hi, Jud!

Of course, you're right! My classic guitar is 55 mm wide at the nut (47mm from 1st to 6th string), my steel striged guitars are narrower.

Blimunda - the guitar whose headstock is shown in the picture - was made by me in 2005. I sold it to a pro musician, and it caused me contraditory feelings: on one hand, it was really difficult to me to see that "baby" leave "daddy's house" (I call it the bride's father syndrome), but, on the other hand, I was invited by my customer to attend the first concert he gave playing "my" guitar. I arrived a little late and, when I entered the concert room, he was already on stage, about to play, in the dark, with only one spotlight focusing on the guitar... I may live to be 100, but I'll never forget that sight... and the tremendous chill of hearing Blimunda sing her voice for all those people listening in silence.

It is Portuguese, is it not?  You (or perhaps someone else) has posted a pic like this (but the whole instrument) before...

Is it tuned the same as a "normal" guitar?

Hi, Florida Gull,

Yessss, it's Portuguese. 

There are two conventional tunings:

The Lisbon tuning, for 44cm scale, is:

bb-aa-ee-Bb-Aa-Dd.

The Coimbra tuning, for 46cm scale, is a whole tone lower:

aa-gg-dd-Aa-Gg-Cc.

If you have a 12-string,with light gauge strings you may try  this tuning:

dd-cc-gg-Dd-Cc-Ff - Use a capo on 5th fret to get Coimbra tuning, or in the 7th fret to get Lisbon tuning.

It won't probably sound very good because the string gauges aren't right, but it will give you an idea...

Apart from those "classic" tunings there's  lots of specific tunings (just like there are "open" and "dropped" tunings for the steel string).

I always use the Lisbon tuning, you can hear it in three videos I posted on my page.

And yes, there are at least some 4 or 5 Portuguese guitar enthusiasts in this community, I am considering the possibility of starting a Portuguese guitar group.

Warning: P-guitars are highly addictive!

I assume there are entirely different chord forms for this, yes?

Well, yes, I mean, the finger posisitions are radically different. But, if you play mandolin or Uke, you probably cope with different chord forms, and the same goes for common guitars if you use open or dropped tunings. But triads always have a root, a dominant and a middle note, no matter what instrument you play...

If you have a look on my vids, "Yesterday" is played in the key of D, "Greensleeves" is played in E minor and "Fado Alberto" is in B minor. The hand positions for the chords are totally different, but your ears will recognize the chords, because they sound pretty much the same as in common guitars, only higher - as if you were using the "Nashville" tuning.

This said, bear in mind that Portuguese guitar is NOT a strummed instrument like Dixieland banjo or rythm guitar. That means you almost never play 6-string (12-string) chords. That's why you won't see me use barré chords, they simply are not necessary. If you play a 4-string (8-string) chord, you'll get plenty of sound, there's no need for more...  Furthermore, P-guitars have tremendous volume, I may be playing a single-note solo with my bare nails, and have a Martin Jumbo strumming flatpick chords backing me, and still my P-guitar will be heard loud and clear, above the accompaniment... pure magic!

Second warning: P-guitars are highly addictive!

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service