Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Mine was a Penco, with Maple back and sides and white binding. To this day, that is my least favorite combination. I remember it also had a zero-fret and too much inlay.

But it was the only one in the store and dad was buying. Beggars can't be choosers.

I learned a lot on that old guitar. I wonder where it is now.

Tags: 12-string, penco

Views: 3306

Replies to This Discussion

My first 12 string was also the Taylor 355CE that I still have. Still learning to play it. My second 12 is the Epiphone PR350 that was a rescue project, it had a cracked neck which I had repaired and now tune it down a step.
First one was a borrowed Yamaha I played for a summer. In 1980 I bought a Washburn Prairie Song (D-66). Dreadnaught with rosewood back and sides. Very pretty almost like streaked long auburn hair. Maple fret inlays spruce top, very thin, I still have it. It has had some work due to the top warping but it still sounds like no other guitar. Very low action and wonderful to play. I did buy an Alvares PJ-85, a jumbo style with mahogony back and sides. It has a very odd sound for a 12 string.
In 1964 I bought a new Gibson B-25 metal bridge model. Currently a Taylor 855 with a Yamaha nylon string and Tak 12's in between
Hey Mark, still got that B-25? If so, can you post pics? We just love this kinda "stuff!" Thanks, Edward
Unfortunately no. It left me in 1967 when I was in the Air Force and went to Guam.
Seagull S12. still have it, still love it

I just bought a Penco Model A24 from eBay last month. It has a spruce top,rosewood sides and back rosewood fingerboard. It also has the zero fret. It had some damage, and I got it for around a hundred bucks. Took nearly a month to get it straightened out and glued back together (NOT my neatest job) but it is all working now and sounds great. I tune it down to D to keep it going strong and the top straight. It is a fine sounding guitar.

They were made in Japan for a Philadelphia music store, and there are still a lot of them around...they were very well made despite the low original price.

My first 12 string was a Mexican Guitarra Double' I got while in the Army in 1968. It was destroyed in 1971.

mark

ADDED: I just bought another old 12 string, made in Korea in the '70's. It looks nearly identical to my old Penco, even though that was made in Japan about the same time...they both copied Gibson 12 strings of the time.

FWIW, the Penco guitars were made in the same factory that made Ibanez for sale in the US and Greco for sale in Japan. I have a Greco Les Paul Custom copy from the '80's that is an almost exact replica of my long gone'74 Gibson LP Custom...but I think the Greco plays and sounds better. Evidently a lot of other people do , too. The prices on these copies are climbing steadily. (It weighs at least 10 pounds, all solid mahogany.)

I will be interested to see who made my Korean 12 sting- It's labeled a Franciscan, and I think it might be made by Samick.

mark

My first 12 string was hand made by a local luthier in Lawton, OK. in 1965.  It was an ok guitar.  My first name-brand  12 string guitar was a 1968 Fender Villager.

My first was a Martin D12-28 I picked up from a needy player at a festival.  It needed some work.  I took it up to Nazareth and had pickup put in and the neck reset and intonation set.

I loved it for a while but rosewood is really too dark for a 12 string.  I sold it for way more than I paid and now I have a Takamine EF381SC maple like Springsteen plays.  Much brighter.  I compared it to a similar Guild and liked the Takamine better--better tone and fantastic action for a 12 string.

I just got my first 12 string ever. It's an inexpensive used Applause AA35. It's a little on the bright side but I am liking it's swirling chorus/flanger effect if gives when strummed or picked. I keep it tuned down a 1/2 step and it seems to sound nicer like that.

Mine was a Seagull Coastline 12 (although, I'd occasionally played the 12-strings other friends had, over the years).  It was a pretty nice guitar, that sadly ended up getting sold during a money crunch.  I've tried out other Seagulls since then.  None of them seem to sound as good as that guitar sounded.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service