Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

There seems to be two schools of thought on the 12-string:

1. Those who string them heavy and tune them low
2. Those who use really light strings and tune to concert pitch

I am of the first catagory. I detail my string set up on my blog so I won't rehash it here.

What's your pleasure?

Views: 390

Replies to This Discussion

On my Guild 12 string I use Martin extra light strings and tune it to pitch...I have no buzzing problem at all.
On my Martin D-12-28 I use Martin light guage strings and tune it a whole step down.
On my Sparks electric 12 string I use a custom guage of strings listed for me by Paul Rdd Smith who partially built the guitar for me and speced the specific guage.

Edward
I have used Martin Marquis lights for years, and tuned to concert pitch on my Guild F212XL. Just recently tried a set of Elixir lights and I really like them, also tuned to concert pitch.

Charlie
Thanks for checking in, Teja.

I have that video saved as a favorite on my YouTube page. I agree, sometimes when I listen to Ralph Towner or Michel Gentils (to name a couple), I wonder if I should re-think my approach. Then when I actually try it, it doesn't sound right. I guess it is what you are used to.

I really shouldn't do this, because Al Petteway might see it, but here is my latest. Sligo Creek on a 12-string, DADGAD tuned down to B:

Nice video...nicer sound! Several years ago I saw ralph Towner live in Maryland as part of the International Guitar Group and he was very entertaining...at one point he put a piece of regualr white paper woven in and out of the strings of his classical to simulate a fuzz box sound...held my attention!
Thanks, Edward
http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/index.htm
If you get a chance to visit my website, please feel free to sign the Guestbook!
Teja, John,

Both videos are great. Great playing and great sounding guitars.

Charlie
If I were to try tuning higher with lighter strings, it would all be out the window the first time I heard Michael.

John Wilson said:
If I were to try tuning higher with lighter strings, it would all be out the window the first time I heard Michael.

Wow he is incredible! And it looks like he is playing a Guild F212XL like mine! Thanks for sharing that, Edward
Boy, Michael Gulezian is really great!! Kind of reminds me of some of Phil Keaggy's work.

And that is a Guild F212XLNT he is playing. Go to "www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag131/gear131.html" for more info.
The tuning on this one is kind of cool:
d/D g/G d/D f#/F# G/A D/E

This is lowered 3-4 half steps so that the D is a B or Bb - assuming that the audio is not off a bit, he seems to be right in between.
I belong to the heavy stringing low tuning category. Have my Yamaha FG 412-12 tuned down a major third (C to C) and use these strings:

.014 to -059.
I agree. I use Elixir Lights on my Taylor 355 and use standard concert tuning. Sounds great.... too bad Taylor only made a couple of hundred of them before Bob Taylor expressed his ongoing creativity by eliminating this relatively affordable treasure!
I must confess that I have never even tried heavier strings on my own, though I've friends who have and I believe they would all agree with your #s 1 and 2.
While it's not a Jumbo, the GA3-12 is actually pretty close to what my old 355 went for when I bought it. These days, I would gravitate to something slightly smaller anyway. I preferred the black binding on the 355 to the current white binding on the GA3-12.

Sometimes I wish I had kept that 355, but it went to a good home and I still have access to it.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service