Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I've heard good things about the Paige 12 string Capo, and I currently have a Kyser.

Views: 88

Replies to This Discussion

I am partial to Schubb capos.  They grip well, they are durable, and they are unobtrusive.

For a 12 string *anything* is better than a Kyser. The Paige is pretty good but I find them a little awkward to set. I really like how it stores behind the nut. For the way my guitar sounds for some reason my Planet Waves NS sounds noticeably better on my 12 string than anything else in my capo collection. I couldn't begin to speculate why. It also costs about half of what a Paige does.

I just got a new Kyser as my old one for the 12 got too loose (fine for 6) - I find the Schubb's are better but you can't easily clip them to your head stock. While I was shopping for it I ran across some Schubb 'Cut Capo's' for about 29$ - I bought one on a lark and this thing is incredibly fun - especially for 12 string.

When you capo up 2 (Strings 5,4,3) it puts the guitar in a E sus chord - the same voicing as DADGAD. I have a bunch of DADGAD songs but de-tuning mid rehearsal or mid gig can be a nightmare. When you flip the cup capo around, second Fret, stings 4, 3, 2 - it turns into Open A.

It's funny but both these tunings still work in D, C, G, chord structures - if you stick to 'Farmers Corner' it's almost impossible to hit a bad chord. In the E Sus mode you can even do an F#m with your index finger below the capo on the open E string.

Patrick

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service