Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Ok everybody!  The Seagull 25th Anniversary Mahogany Spruce has arrived...

Ron brought it into the lab for me to see...

Here's a closer view of the front...

Beautiful back...

Headstock...

Ron won't forget which case his guitar is in either...wait - he's only got the 1...

I sat and played it for about 10 minutes - I was at work after all...;-)  Strings haven't been changed yet, but BEAUTIFUL tone.  Really looks like it just came off the rack at a guitar store.  Great action - I might have detected a very, very slight twist to the neck, but that's what the adjustable truss rod is for.  Can't tell while playing, so it must be minor indeed...

This guitar is a blend of today's Maritime and Artist series, IMHO.  No mother-of-pearl seagulls or pin inserts, but the headstock and tuning machines remind me more of today's Artist series.  I would consider this to be a most successful, sight-unseen (well, at least in-person-unseen) purchase.

BTW, this is Ron's first guitar!  Can you imagine starting off on this?  JEALOUSY!!!  I'd be Tommy Emmanuel now!  Well, maybe not, but I'd be better... ;-)

So, what do you guys think?

Views: 3074

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to take a pic of the one on my Giannini this morning, but I forgot...

It's kind of like that, though...

Here is the fix I found for my strap situation.  I really don't have a problem with the strap at the head stock so I will forego the Strap nut installation and leave the guitar as built.  How cool is it.  Way "old school".  The leather won't damage the head stock and I think it is so cool to pull this out of the high tech TRIC case.

There is one on AGF Classifieds, just in case anybody NEEDS one... 

Jerry

Here are better photos of my 25th anniversary

Attachments:

Very nice. My new Maritime SWS looks very similar but Artist type tuners are really nice on the 25th

Thanks, I love the darn thing.  I swear it sings.  I played many guitars before finding this one and I think I got a steal. It is by far the easiest guitar to play.  I am Seagull fan now.  I got a TRIC case for it and I am sure glad I did.  My son opened the rear gate to our van and my guitar came tumbling out. I about had heart failure right there.  Opened it up and everything was fine, in fact, still in tune.  The thing bounced, I don't think it would have survived in the case they sent with it. So I am sold on TRIC.  I know they look cheap but I have always believed in function over form.

The TRIC cases are great - I have the FORT, an early version, for my S6, and really like it - light, shock absorbing, and has a  great huge 'pick pocket" where you can keep all sorts of things. Like Gary, I prefer the plain case - mine has the old velcro strap system, which works just fine - a friend just bought a Coastline S6 with the deluxe case with the canvas cover, and I can't say I like it as well.

Re looking 'cheap' - sez who, and who cares?? It does the job in spades, and like you, I think that form should follow function. The TRIC's appearance is, to my eye, exactly as it should be...

Anyway, it's the guitar that really counts, isn't it, and it sure looks and sounds like you've gotten a beauty...

It also has the same bracing as the Artist series.  Is your SWS HG or SG.  I think it makes a difference in the tone of the guitar.

Beautiful HG and  I agree it makes a difference. I had a Coastline Spruce S6 SG and I don't know if HG is  better but definitely different. I have Natural Elements cedar top and I play them both equally and I am so pleased with both, plugged in and unplugged. I also have both types of TRIC cases. I honestly prefer the one with the clasps ($65) and no canvas cover. Like you I have great faith in them.

Do either of you play fingerstyle?  I do (primarily), and I have found that the thinner SG finish, IMHO, is more responsive to the lower energy input of using the fingertips than the HG.  However, given the greater energy input when you strum or otherwise use a pick, in my opinion this distinction disappears when using a pick...

I mostly fingerpick.  Which is one of the reasons I think this guitar is so great.  Because the spruce top is so hard and tight the lower frequencies resonate, like forever. HG finish only improves on that.  So I think the opposite is true.  The semi gloss has a softer warmer tone, not as bright.

I sort of think that a spruce top with a semi gloss finish sounds similar to a cedar top with a High gloss finish.  But there is a lot more to it than that.  Any finish has an effect of the sounding board. Polyurethane can absorb the vibrations. Making a perfect piece of spruce useless. Maybe it is just the strings I use but when I chime it can last a good 2 minutes if I am plugged in.  If not plugged in you can still feel it long after you can't hear it. So when I went shopping I was looking for HG.  All this really only matters when your in your livingroom and it is all quiet.  Most yokels will never hear the difference.  But you and I know better.

Do you use fingerpicks, or the fleshy part of your fingertips?  Fleshy for me...

I'm speaking about an A/B comparison between a Maritime SWS SG and HG, both dreads, the finish being the only difference.  IMHO, the SG, when played fingerstyle, seemed more "organic", "woody", and responsive to a light touch.  Playing both with a pick reduced/eliminated this perceived difference.

However, I will admit that I cannot remember if the condition of the strings was equal - or if they were even the same brand or tension...

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service