Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I have been a HUGE fan of Elixr Strings for quite a few years now...LOVE the tone, feel, and longevity of this particular brand.  I seemed to have settled into the routine use of the 80/20 Bronze polyweb Custom Lights.  Would anyone care to offer up their opinion on the differences in tone,  playability, and longevity between the bronze and phosfor bronze?

Views: 207

Replies to This Discussion

I've never tried the polywebs, but use the nanowebs routinely.  I have settled on the phosphor bronze lights on my Martin DCPA-4.  Personally, I like the tone I get with PB Elixirs on my Martin with spruce/sapele construction and the longevity is a plus.  I "think" the PBs last a little longer than the 80/20s.  I've also heard the opinion, but have not personally experienced both a slicker feel and possibly quicker "fraying" of the coating on the polywebs vs the nanos.

I think I'm gonna give the PB Nanos a try...I'm completely happy with my current strings, but, you never know!

Just my opinion, I think 80/20s on a cedar topped guitar are a good idea.  On spruce, I think phosphor bronze are better.  But we aren't all after the same sound.

I never figured out the difference between Elixir polywogs and nano nanos.  To me it's like taking a shower wearing a raincoat.

I had to look it up on the Elixir site...the nano nanos are supposrd to have a thinner coating, to feel more like an uncoated string...Nanoweb 80/20 will produces a bright sound, polyweb 80/20 will give you a warm sound, while nanoweb phosfor bronze will land you right in the mddle.

I love the bronze ones. Better sound for my type of playing..

Going to look into these Elixr strings next,

I just tried a set of Dr. "Rare",  they sound great but seem to be working at trying to slice right through my fingers on barre chords.

I have had just the opposite experience with them.  That's my favorite brand.  I have found that the 11's tend to sound like 12's, etc.  I generally play 11's.  I also like Everly's.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service