Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Does anyone in the group own an Artist Studio? I like my SWS Mini Jumbo (especially since Godin replaced the neck & bridge), but I wonder if I should have sprung for the 'better' guitar. If you've got one, how does it compare w/ the other guitars you own??? On the basis of just the specs, one would have to spend almost $2K on a comparable Martin or Taylor...@ least based upon my own window shopping @ Guitar Centers. Thanks for any input or suggestions you have.


Views: 6589

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm ... good to know.  I stand corrected!  But, looking at what Seagull describes as "scalloped" bracing is certainly different from what Martin does when they scallop their bracing.  Seagull's "scalloping" is very basic in just a couple of places while Martin's scalloping is very extensive and  intricate.  Just hazarding a guess, I'm going to say that the way it affects the sound on a Seagull is not like the way it affects sound on a Martin.  The scalloping is so minimal on A Gull that I couldn't even detect it inside the sound hole on my Mosaic with a mirror and a light.

I believed that "scalloped bracing" meant that the inside of the brace - the part you can't see when the brace is attached - is "scooped out" or "hollowed out". Is this not correct? If this is correct, what you can see inside the guitar may be more intricately shaped or carved braces? If my understanding of scalloping is correct, one cannot tell if the braces are scalloped - or scooped out - once it is attached.

Not in my experience, although there may be variations of the term.  Scalloping that I've seen done in photos and videos involves carefully and skillfully chiseling away a porition of the wood creating the curved appearance, reducing the weight while maintaining the strength of the brace.  Since scalloping is done after the brace is glued to the top, it would precude any hollowing out procedure.  If I'm not mistaken, a skilled luthier can actually scallop braces on a non-scalloped guitar.   I suppose that there may be a method that involves "hollowing" out the brace.  Just haven't seen it and I'm not sure it would qualify as "scalloping".  Once again, I'm prepared to be coorected if wrong.. 

Here are some pretty good PHOTOS of a luthier scalloping braces on acoustic guitar top.

After further research, it appears that I mis-interpreted the term "scooped out" when I read it long ago... ;-(

Hey ... you're right 99.9% of the time.  Good to see you're acxtually human.

Human? Does - not - process...bzzzz...


Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!




Be alerted to the latest articles on, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2016   Created by Acoustic Guitar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service