Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

What's your opinion?? 

Just saw this in a thread on another forum. 

Wow! 

If it's true, (and Michel Belanger is quoted) I wonder if they did any real market research before making this leap? 

This is a big change! Click and check it out.

Long-Scale Gulls?

=============================================

UPDATE:  Here's the e-mail I just received.

Hi Jud,

Yes, we're currently phasing in 25.5" scale guitars, but we still have some shorter scale guitars in stock.

All Seagull models will eventually have a 25.5" scale.

Regards,

Michel Belanger
Support Clients / Customer Support
Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars

==================================

UPDATE to the last UPDATE:

Hi Jud,

I gave you the wrong info! Parlor and Folk sized models will keep the 24.84" scale.

Michel Belanger
Support Clients / Customer Support
Guitares Godin / Godin Guitars

=======================================

Views: 3309

Replies to This Discussion

The 1.8 in nut is what sold me too. I want to get a Maritime in the future but not if the nut width is reduced.

Update on differences between the 25.5 (approximately) Natural Element Gull and the 24.8 (approximately) Entourage Rustic Gull. The difference in .7 inch seems to be made up two ways.  The bridge seems to be moved down about .35 inches and the neck is .35 inches longer.  The body size is exactly the same when placed back to back.

Read in another forum that someone measured the frets for intonation for the new scale length and they are spot on. I am just using a measuring tape so I am not that accurate.  I am also more concerned about not scratching my guitars than being accurate.

Well.....this may be a welcome change on some models. If the longer scale provides for slightly better action and a little more bass response, then I'm all for it. It's great to own/play an instrument that's not a run-of-the-mill guitar...and I think Seagulls have their own identity. They're a great value...and they're made in Canada...and not the Pacific rim...but there's always room for improvement. I look forward to checking out a Peppino model w/ the longer scale.

JB

Interesting - I wonder if the change will apply to the 12 strings or the Peppino D'Agostino model, which share the 1.9" nut? How much tooling do they want to change? Peppino may not want "his" model changed - and there may be an advantage to a slightly shorter scale on a 12 string...

I did not measure my Natural Elements so thanks Ron. I should since I have a folk and mini jumbo. I do not like this change, I have a smaller hands. However, my NE Mini Jumbo is one of my favorites to play. I would just hate to see a company and brand I love may a decision that can hurt them. They have a good thing going.

Go and measure the scale length of your NE.  I got a message saying my NE is 24.84 while I measure it at 25.5.

where exactly does one measure to determine the scale of the guitar?

Here's one pretty clear explanation:

How to measure scale length on an acoustic guitar

Nut to saddle...

I did nut to 12 fret and nut to saddle on e1.  I know it should be nut to saddle averaged between g3 and d4 but my measurements are enough to determine that the Natural Element Seagull is long scale.

One thing more important than the scale is: Seagull now only sells its Artist (high end) series with CW and installed electronics. I do not want to have CW, and even less, ready installed electronics in my guitar. If Seagull doesn't change it's policy in this respect, no more Seagulls.

Harry -

Isn't the Artist Mosaic (dread) still available without QII?

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_artist_mosaic.html

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_artist_series.html

Still on the website - but that may not mean anything...  Is it not available without QII anymore?

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service