Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I asked this on another forum, and got some good answers on the various sizes among the expensive guitar manufacturers, so I thought I would post it here for answers in the Godin lineup.

I currently have two guitars that both sound great, and have nice easy action to play. The problem that I am finding is that now that I have matured in age, I have matured in size as well.

I'm currently re-learning on a Seagull S6 which I like a lot. Love the full rich sound, and the feel of the neck.

It just seems a little large for me. I ordered and got a Neck-up in today, and that seems to help some, but I still feel a little uncomfortable with the guitar in my lap.

I'm 5'11, and weigh in at about 204 most of the time, but it seems my arms have gotten shorter than when I played 20 years ago. During that 15 years of non-playing, my physique has changed a little.

My chest measures 44", and my waist comes in at about 46", so you can see where I am coming from.

Do Godin make any "smaller" size guitars without losing the great full sound?

Something maybe a little thinner back to front, and maybe even a little smaller lower bout. I don't think I want to go down to a 3/4 size guitar or anything like that, but something just a little more comfortable.

I like the Seagull S6, and the sound is phenomenal, but feel I might be more comfortable playing something smaller.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but am thinking of something I can buy myself for Christmas.

So what say you experts on the Godin Line which includes any of the guitars they make. What is available that sounds as good as the S6, but is a little smaller?

Views: 650

Replies to This Discussion

I just noticed that the S&P Woodland Pro Parlour is a 12-fretter!  The Seagull Coastline Grand (with the same dimensions) is a 14 fretter!  Interesting...I wonder if the Ami's or the other Godin Grands or Parlour's are 12's or 14's?  Research time... :-)
Ami's are 12-fretters too!  Norman doesn't have any...

Ok, so here's what I did, and what I learned today.

Got to GC, and was pretty much left on my own in the acoustic room with a sales guy checking in every so often asking if I needed anything.

I tried the Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlour first since that was why I drove over there. The salesman said it was a special deal where a new guitar was being sold as used at $499.00. It looked new, even still had the tags from the manufacturer tied to the headstock. Had the QC tag there as well with the initials of everyone who had checked out the various parts of the assembly. But that was what caught my eye. On the back of the QC card there was a diagram of a guitar with 2 red dots on it. I asked about it, but the salesman didn't know what they were.

I tried it out, and the size was very nice. I could hold it comfortably, and everything felt great. The problem that I saw was the sound. I don't know whether it was the fact that it was new, and had not been played in, or the spruce top, or the thick high gloss finish, or what, but it just didn't have the depth of sound that I have grown used to with both my Vantage, and the S6. I reluctantly set it aside to see what else they had.

I tried out a Maritime SWS Folk HG, and it fit very well too. Just a tiny bit smaller than the S6, but enough that I could live with it, but the price tag on it was $569.00 new being sold as used. The sound was better, but different. I set it aside.

I next tried out a Norman Cedar Folk, and to my ears it sounded better than both the other two, but that's just these tired old ears, and my humble opinion.

I asked the salesman the next couple of times through if he had any other smaller guitars in the 0, 00, 000, OM size range that would be in my price range, and he didn't think they did. So I started scouring the walls in the acoustic room.

On the far wall separated from all the other Godin guitars was the one. I took it down, and it was a Seagull Entourage Grand Rustic. The sales tag said was a parlor, but the model number says it is a grand. I got it down, made sure it was in tune, and began to play. I don't have a huge repertoire at this point, but at leas can now strum a few cords, and play a couple of melodies.

The Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlor, and the Seagull Entourage Grand guitars are the same size, except the Seagull neck joins the body at the 14th fret, and the Woodland Pro joins the body at the 12th fret.

To my ears, it has to be the cedar top on the Entourage Grand, but the sound was much more rich and full to me than the Woodland Pro.

Be assured, that it does not have the fullness of the S6, but it is remarkably close. It was used, and had a price tag of $349.00, so I returned the S6 for a full refund since I had it less than 30 days, made them find me a case to put it in because the case for my s6 was part of the original purchase, got a new set of D'Adario light strings for it, paid the difference and brought it home.

It is a beautiful guitar, and I'll have pictures later today or tomorrow. I want to put on the new strings, and clean it up first. One thing I noticed is that the finish is much thicker and more durable than on the S6. I don't know what they changed, but I think it is for the better.

Axeman ... I played it and liked it a lot.  My only problem was the narrower nut (1.72 compared to 1.8) between the Grand and the S-6.  My hands are just to big and clumsy not to have at least 1.75 and preferably 1.8 inch nut.  The Grand sounds great and for someone with normal- sized hands and perhaps less stiffness in the fingers than me, it probably plays like a dream.  Congratulations!!

Axeman,

Looking forward to your photos of the Entourage Grand Rustic to see if it's the same guitar my wife (bless her!) just bought me from GC (on 30 day approval of course) for my birthday.  I've been looking for a parlour size guitar.  This one does seem a little smaller than what I would have expected, but it sounds good and is more comfortable to play than my Taylor dread.    Price was the same as yours but also they were running a 15% off promotion that ends today.  It is new, not used.  I'm glad they threw in a case and strings for you.  I haven't completely made my mind up about it yet so will be interested in your and anyone else's comments.

My only problem was the narrower nut (1.72 compared to 1.8) between the Grand and the S-6.  My hands are just to big and clumsy not to have at least 1.75 and preferably 1.8 inch nut.  The Grand sounds great and for someone with normal- sized hands and perhaps less stiffness in the fingers than me, it probably plays like a dream.  Congratulations!!

Thanks!

My hands must fall into the average, because I can play both. My middle finger measures 7-1/8 inches from tip to my wrist, so fingers are not that long. They feel a little fat sometimes wanting to touch the string next to them, but I think after the callouses build up a little more, that won't be as prevelant.

Looking forward to your photos of the Entourage Grand Rustic to see if it's the same guitar my wife (bless her!) just bought me from GC (on 30 day approval of course) for my birthday.  I've been looking for a parlour size guitar.  This one does seem a little smaller than what I would have expected, but it sounds good and is more comfortable to play than my Taylor dread.    Price was the same as yours but also they were running a 15% off promotion that ends today.  It is new, not used.  I'm glad they threw in a case and strings for you.  I haven't completely made my mind up about it yet so will be interested in your and anyone else's comments.

Glad you're getting one too. That many more to compare. :)

Axeman --- Sounds like a great match for you!  My middle finger from wrist to tip is slightly over 8 inches, so you see my problem ...

:-(

Congratulations! The finish difference is a semi-gloss - SG - what the S6 was - vs. a high-gloss - HG - what your new one is. And thanks for answering what I was going to ask - whether it is a 12 or 14 fretter...
Enjoy!

Thanks!

This guitar plays so easily for me. I just finished doing some finger exercises on it, and maybe it's the smaller nut, or maybe it's because it's so much more comfortable for me to hold, I don't have the answer, but I love it.

It just sounds beautiful to me.

I still haven't had time to take the strings off and clean it and then re-string it, but I'm sure it will sound even better with new strings. These are pretty dull looking.

Are there different versions?  The one I played at GC was standard Entourage Rustic SG finish.

I believe it has a semi-gloss.

I just think it is much thicker than what was on the S6.

As a matter of fact, the finish reminds me of what is on my Vantage guitar. Lots more durable, and less prone to scratching.

Perhaps the sunburst finish on the Entourage adds a bit to the depth of the SG finish?  I have not played or held an Entourage, but have played and held an S6, and the S6 cedar top felt like the top of the lefty Martin I had - almost like raw wood...my Perfomer has the HG...

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service