Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I started this discussion over on the main gear page, but thought I'd put it up to everyone here, too.

I'm looking for an inexpensive (<$150) likely used, starter for my southpaw son, but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth. What do you think about converting a standard right hand guitar to a lefty? I realize the compensated saddle is reversed, but how much of a problem would this be, especially for a beginner?

lefty conversion

Views: 529

Replies to This Discussion

Let's ask this guy ... :-)

They say, Sir Paul wrote and recorded "Yesterday" on his flipped righty Epiphone.

Someone look up Elizabeth Cotten's Frieght Train. She played a right handed guitar lefty without swithcing the strings. I would but just dont know enough about computers. That lady was amazing.

I was just talking to the owner of one of the local shops about lefties. He had 4 in the shop, 3 used electric/acoustics and one new Crestwood chinese-cheapo for $124. I asked about converting since he had a wide variety of righties and he said I'd have to have a nut cut from a blank because he couldn't even order a lefty nut. That just sounds crazy to me.

What did the used ones run, price-wise? And what were they?

The one I recognized was a Washburn, Chinese-made, priced at $350. The others were brands I did not recognize and were also priced over $300. I have 2 months to shop, so I'll be patient. There are a couple of Fender DG10 CELH's on ebay right now, one at $102 and a Korean-made model at $199

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-DG-10CELH-LEFT-HANDED-ACOUSTIC-ELECT...

IMHO, call and talk with Jay or Graham @ Wolfe - see what they'll sell it to you for - I would think they would let it go for $150 or less - they've had it since I got my Kingpin - about 6 months?

I emailed them this morning about it, but being Sunday I assume they are closed. All I got was a robo-mail response.

Monday - Saturday, 10-6. Jay is usually very quick to respond. They are very good, knowledgeable people.

sounds like it would be a good option

I'm not so sure the Fender had a solid top - might have been laminate - confirm with the Wolfe guys, if you speak with them - and if they still have it. It did have a nice tone, though...

pretty sure it is lam. I was looking at them earlier.

I checked ebay, they had new LH acoustics-  Kona  $104 - 169, Gold Tone $199, Fender Cd100 $229, Takamine G340 $219, Alvarez RD20  high bid is $51.  not sure what it will end at.  Jasmine made by Takamine $200- 230,  Oscar Schmidt $80- 200

so there are a lot of options for a beginner guitar.   Then there are used.  I did not go over them.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service