Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I wanted to introduce myself a little and let all of you know how I got here.

I started playing the guitar about 20 years ago. My first guitar was a Washburn, but I don't remember the Model Number, only that it retailed for about $150.00 circa 1991 or so. I traded that guitar in for a much nicer one in December 1992. The reason I remember the exact date is that I recently divorced causing a move and was going through some old papers and found the Invoice, and the brochure from the new guitar. That guitar was  Vantage Model Vs-25SCE. There isn't much on the internet about this guitar, but I did find one old review here, if you're interested in reading about it.

It's a very nice guitar, and retailed for $479.00 in 1992 dollars, so you can extrapolate what it would cost now. It has a solid Cedar top, Ovankol back and sides, Rosewood finger board, Rosewood bridge and Brown Herringbone binding on the sound hole. That information is taken from the brochure which I still have in my hot little hands. I traded in the Washburn for part of the cost, and was very happy with my new purchase. I took lessons for about 3 years before my 3rd teacher moved away leaving me on my own. As with most things, the guitar got put away, and played less and less when I finally quit playing it altogether. I hadn't played it in 15 years until just a couple of weeks ago.

Naturally during the move, I drug the case with the old guitar out of the closet and brought it to my new home. My seventeen year old son asked me when I moved what I was going to do for a hobby in my new place. Where I live now is much smaller than my previous home, and the hobby I had been enjoying is not possible where I live now, so I replied that I didn't know, but something would come along.

About 3 weeks ago, my son asked if he could borrow my guitar and expressed an interest in learning to play, so I let him take it for a week with the promise that he would take good care of it, and bring it back safely.

When he brought it back the following week, I asked if he was still interested, and he said yes. I told him I would try and find a second guitar for him to use, and he agreed. That was where my journey towards a Seagull began.

I first started doing some research looking for the best quality guitars for an inexpensive price. I was looking for used of course, and began the search. I found that the name Seagull was everywhere, and I started reading about them. Here are a couple of links that brought me to believe in the quality of the Seagull brand, Best Acoustic Guitars and The Guitar Medic. The entire Guitar Medic website was a nice read for me, because I am always interested in how things work and how people move through life's journey.

So I began looking for a used Seagull. I turned to our local Craig's list first, and found an S6 for $150.00, but by that time someone had already snapped it up. I made a couple of other calls off the list, but they wanted more money than I wanted to spend. After all, I was buying for a seventeen year old who may or may not stick with it, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money.

I had checked the local GC, but they didn't have any in stock, but advised me to watch their website on a daily basis because it was always being updated. So I did begin to watch, and the very next day, one appeared at their store in Overland Park, KS. I called the local guy and ordered it to be shipped in to the local store, so I could actually see it before taking it home.

As I said, I haven't played in over 15 years, so I asked a customer in the store to play it for me. It sounded great, the customer liked it a lot, so I bought some strings, and some other items, and brought everything home.

At this point my son knew nothing about my purchase, so I decided to make an "arrangement" with him. I asked if he would like to take lessons with me. I would be re-learning, and he would be just starting out. I picked up the "Learn & Master the Guitar" DVDs and books, and last night we had our first lesson. It is coming back to me pretty quickly, and he is picking it up pretty well. He already is an accomplished piano player, and we both know how to read music, so that is a plus.

That's where the decision had to be made as to who was going to use which guitar. For me it was a big decision. I have after all some sentimental attachment to the Vantage, and had played it a good bit, early on. So I thought I would take both guitars to local music stores to have someone who plays better than I, and has more technical knowledge than I to help me make the decision.

The first guy was a "certified Martin technician". He examined both guitars, checked them both for action, intonation, verified the neck was straight, etc. He asked me if they had ever been professionally setup. I told him that the Vantage had never been because I bought it new, but couldn't say for sure about the Seagull. His response was that he thought the Vantage might be just a bit better quality, but that the sound on both was great. He said the sound on the Vantage was just a bit "brighter" while the Seagull was just a bit "more mellow".

But that was when I began falling in love with the Seagull. His shop was quiet, whereas the GC was noisy with people trying electric guitars and amps everywhere, and I could hear the richness and sound depth of the Seagull.

My next stop was at another Music store who I had contacted and they agreed to play both guitars for me to listen to. This guy was more of a player than a technician, and he could play very well. I asked that he do some finger picking on both, because I think that is where I might like to work towards. Again, the Seagull sounded much fuller and richer than the Vantage.

So I began thinking of how I would present all of this to my son. My reasoning was this. The Vantage looks better, and has a much tougher finish on it than the Seagull, so I reasoned there would be less chance of scratching by a wayward pick. The Vantage is also a cut-away, and has an electronic pre-amp installed from the factory. The Seagull has no pre-amp. I figured that he would need the pre-amp if he wanted to play at the Church, or any other functions in the future where amplification is required.

After explaining all of the above to him, he agreed, and now is using the Vantage, and I have the Seagull.

We learned together last night, and I told him that if he stuck with it and practiced every day, by the time he graduates from High School in May, I would help him find a Seagull for his own. He was happy with that.

So now, I am going to re-learn to play the guitar using my "new" Seagull S6 Original that was born in October 1999, and I am told by Michel Belanger from Godin Guitars is a 2000 Model, and I am ecstatic.

Here is a picture of both guitars standing side by side in my living room.

Ok, I fixed it. :)

Tags: S6, Seagull, VS-25SCE, Vantage

Views: 898

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

He will be impressed I'm sure.

That was the last song my last teacher from way back when taught me, and it was for me to learn the hammer effect.

It felt good to know I could still do it. Mine has a long way to go to get real smooth too, but at least it's there.

Great looking guitars and awesome story!

I started playing back when I was 14 or so but just fiddled around w/ a few riffs until I discovered girls loved guitar players...then I was racing to learn songs.  I played long enough to master campfire tunes and then split to electric guitar fun.  After getting married and then divorced I too found myself picking up an instrument that had been neglected for too long.  I am a fingerstyle player for the most part and Seagull was researched extensively before I decided it was the "one".  I also bought mine at the GC in Overland Park, KS!  I drove about 2+ hours just to get that guitar as the local shops didn't sell Seagulls (or at least they weren't in stock and hadn't been for a while).  I am a happy Seagull S6 Original owner and have to say that all who hear or play my guitar are very impressed w/ the sound/tone and playability.

Congrats to you and your son!  You are a great father to pass on such a great past time as guitar playing!

We are still at it after almost 2 months. He came by this afternoon for another lesson.

Since I wrote the original post, I discovered that I needed a smaller guitar, so traded my S6 in for a Seagull Entourage Grand Rustic.

I love this smaller guitar. I have a set of Curt Mangen "bluegrass" gauge strings on it, and it the sound is simply awesome. You would think I am playing a much bigger guitar, yet silky smooth and deep rich tones.

I have since purchased a used 1965 Silvertone 603 Grand Concert guitar this past weekend. I have been cleaning it up, and setting the action. Trying to do it myself for the most part.

It is just a hair bigger than my Seagull Grand, but has a 24" scale and a 1.75" nut. the Silvertone neck joins the body at the 12th fret. It is going to be a great addition to my little guitar family. The lower bout measures 13.25", and the Seagull is 13.00", so not much difference.

What was your criteria for "needing" a smaller guitar?

Is the Seagull Grand properly setup yet?  Is it new or used?

Did you get a chance to compare the S6 side by side with the Seagull Grand before you took the Grand?

we gots to know

I know that I too like smaller body guitars as I have been playing on a classical for so many years.  I almost went w/ a parlor seagull I saw but instead opted for the S6 purely on reputation and because I didn't want to put it  back on the wall.

What was your criteria for "needing" a smaller guitar?

Is the Seagull Grand properly setup yet?  Is it new or used?

Did you get a chance to compare the S6 side by side with the Seagull Grand before you took the Grand?

we gots to know

I was uncomfortable playing the S6 after a short period of time. I really can't remember my arms being so short back when I played my Vantage Dreadnaught. It seems my torso has grown over the years.

I took the Seagull Grand to two different Luthiers who both said the setup was excellent just like it was.

I think it was new, being sold as used. Don't know whether it was actually sold to someone else who returned it, but it was certainly in mint condition. Didn't look like it had ever been played anywhere besides the showroom.

I did not get a chance to play them side by side, but the sound is very similar. Both have solid cedar tops.

I know that I too like smaller body guitars as I have been playing on a classical for so many years.  I almost went w/ a parlor seagull I saw but instead opted for the S6 purely on reputation and because I didn't want to put it  back on the wall.

I understand completely. The S6 is a very nice guitar, and they sound wonderful.

Did you buy it at Guitar Center? The Entourage Grand Rustic is a new GC exclusive.  I don't think they've been out but a few months at most.  I've played it several times during my lunchtime GC visits.  It is a sweet playing little instrument.  Only thing I had trouble with was going down to the 1.72 inch nut width.

I did buy it from Guitar Center.

I wrote to Michel at Seagull to get the "born on" date.

He wrote back that it was a brand new model. first made in 2011.

If you go by their year end date, it was made some time after August 1st, 2011.

I sent an email to the salesman I purchased the Seagull Entourage Grand from at Guitar Center with the receipt sales number, and the serial number of the guitar which was on the receipt and asked if it was new or used when I bought it.

He wrote back to say that it was brand new, and I am the original owner.

That makes me feel a bit better after reading the thread here about the neck being installed differently on models made after 2005.

That's good news.  No worries.  Now you can just enjoy it!  Godin is behind you all the way.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service