Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Still a very new newbie, but I do at least change my own strings. Been trying different strings out and would love some feedback from other Seagull owners about what you are using.

I'm playing an S-6 Original (Cedar top, laminate cherry sides/back) with a set of  D'Addario EJ Custom Lights. Like the tone and feel, but what do I know?

I've not tried coated strings yet.... opinions?

Views: 4092

Replies to This Discussion

Generally found the EJ16s to be just fine. Have used webstrings as well before their shipping costs to Canada went thru the roof.

Recently purchased a used , but mint S6  folk cedar with tric  case for $150. I think it had the original strings on it, and a new pack of Martin strings in the case. Strung her up with the Martins, and it was terrible. Had them on for 4 or 5 days, and went back to the EJ 16s with good results.

Wow, nice find on the S-6 !!!  You aren't from that "American Pickers" show are you??  :-)

I was on a used guitar roll this summer. Picked up a mint Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin with single P90 for $300, and a mint Fender Blues Jr Amp for $290 $CDN. The 5th Ave played thru the Blues Jr is amazing! I, like Niel Young I believe, have figured that used guitars is the way to go.

The 5th Ave is interesting in that you could use acoustic type strings, or the jazz guage electric strings it comes from the factory with. But I digress....

Very happy with all of the acquisitions, and enjoying playing them as time permits.

I saw a beautiful Ibanez Artwood series AWS 1000 solid wood acoustic/electric that sells for over $1,000 on Craigslist today for only $400.  Man, I wish I had some extra cash!  Check it out ... almost too good to be true, but you never know.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/msg/2551899510.html

Nice deal. Go take a look!

Guitars seem to be slow sellers in my area, hense the local deals for me:)

That is a beauty! What is the nut width? ;)
Dunno ... I had a hard time even finding detailed information about that specific model on the web.  At one point I thought it was a $1,000 guitar, now I'm not so sure.  If it is, it's on the high end of Ibaenz accoustic pricing.  Other people have told me that $400 is not that exciting a price.
I had an art wood back in the day and liked it a lot except for the aweful warp that ended up in the neck.  I ended up selling it to finance another guitar...can't quite remember which one as I've had so many.  You'd do fine to own one but I'm a stingy guy when buying used guitars and probably wouldn't go over $300 unless it was just too darn good a deal to pass up but I can't figure that out unless I play the axe.
Yes, as far as I can tell, the Ibanez "Artwood" line runs the gamut of pricing and quality.  Just the fact that it was so hard for me to find detailed info on this particular guitar turned me off before I ever really got turned on.
I can use acoustic strings as well as electric on my future Kingpin?  Cool...versatility!

For my Seagull performer I use the Martin SP series and I'm happy with those. But I actually like the 80/20 Bronze ones more than the phosphor bronze. But that's when I play live. It feels like the tone is longer and a bit warmer somehow. On my 12 string I bought the Martin strings as well but the thin g string broke 2 times with new strings. I changed to Rotosound and I never had any problem with their strings.

Any suggestions what strings to buy for the warmest and most filling sound out there?

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service