Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I have a problem.  My pick rotates on me.  I usually play in a "root-strum" fashion - very easy, comfortable and unchallenging.  No problem holding onto the pick there.  But whenever I start to do a "down-up" rhythm pattern, the pick slips. More accurately, it rotates clockwise.  At some point I have to pause and re-grip it.  If I try to hold it more tightly to prevent it from slipping, it sounds like I'm dragging or scraping it across the strings and sounds awful.
Any suggestions?

Hugh

Views: 2204

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Steve! I've been lightly sanding my picks to help keep them from slipping and upon seeing your post and the link you provided I ordered a dozen of the Snarling Dogs Brain Picks and I love them. These might be the best thing since sliced bread. For anyone else having problems with picks I would highly recommend the Snarling Dog picks.
Jessee,

Your welcomed and I'm glade you like them. When I found them 5 years ago I've never used any other pick.
I realize that this is an old post but nonetheless I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I just received my V-Pick order. Everyone is right - these picks are too thick but there is one excellent pick among the bunch.

A Tradition UL Pointed is the pick for me. Almost identical to the pick that I'm used to using in size and just slightly thicker. (Not enough to matter - I use 7.3 and the size is an 8.0)

I returned all my fat V-picks and had them send nothing but the Tradition UL's. An excellent pick and no slippage. none.
Hugh,
I'm late to this discussion, but I thought I'd offer something an instructor told me that maybe everybody already knew but me. He said you are supposed to strum into the guitar -- not just across the strings, but as if you are trying to put the pick into the soundhole (that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea). Do the same for both up and down strokes. Once I started to make a conscious effort to do that, my pick didn't rotate as much. It requires a more "wristy" strum action, which is also better than full forearm strumming. Now I just have to learn to do it without thinking about it. I do use picks with holes or rough surfaces, and that helps of course, but the "strumming into" technique was a breakthrough for me.
Walt
First I heard of that Walt. Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Pick choice update: after not liking the V-picks, which were way too thick for my taste, I ordered Steve Kaufman's yellow picks. They are cheap and available on his website flatpik.com. They don't have any grooves or holes or anything, but they're a tiny bit more flexible and softer than the Fender medium gauge picks I'd been using. The tone they get out of my guitar is out of this world. I highly recommend them.
Hey Mark: How are the yellow picks as far as slipping in your fingers? Am I correct that that was the reason you bought the V-picks in the first place? I'm not too satisfied with the V-picks either. I got the sampler pack and most of them are too thick. It is true that they don't budge at all in my fingers, but I'm hearing a high-pitched squeak as I strum. It's a bit like the squeak I hear cleaning a window with a rag after the glass cleaner runs out.
I assume it has to do with the properties of the acrylic.
Hi Hugh,
Is the squeak on the Ist or 2nd strings.....If so move the finger that is depressing the string slightly. The string could be vibrating on the fret or you may in fact be dragging the string down. Just check and see if it makes a difference.
Rock On
Greg
Hi Hugh, Steve's yellow picks do not slip as much as the fenders did. Like I said in an earlier post, this is less of an issue now for me than it was a few months ago, I guess I've just learned how to hold the pick with the right amount of pressure. But I was still getting some slipping with the Fenders and it's definitely less with the yellow picks. There's also a difference (improvement) in the tone. It's been a great cheap way to suddenly become a better guitar player!
A very easy thing to overcome. Quite a number of picks come with a logo or emblem on the body of the pick which should take care of the slippage. I am not sure if you have tried different substances and/or flexibility in the pick.
Pliable picks seem to suit better when holding the pick firmer and in most cases get rid of the slapping noise.
Just remember that on the up stroke you ensure you hit all the string required for the particular chord.
Rock On
Greg
Different picks for different people. Out of curiosity I ordered some Snarling Dog Brain Picks. Went back to my V-picks, the acoustic ones. I like the deeper sound from the thick ones and rarely any slippage. With the Brain picks, every few strumms I was trying to get the pick back where it should be. Oh well.
Just for kicks and giggles I tried some medium picks. After a few strums, they would start to twist. I solved that by putting a very small piece of adhesive backed emery paper in the grip area. It did the trick for me. However, I went back to the soft picks. As a newbie, they work better for me. Dean

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service