Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Hello everyone, I bought my first guitar on September 1, 2010 and began taking lessons on September 3.  Last night, as the invitation of my instructor, I worked up the nerve to join in with a very welcoming and informal group  of players of varying skill levels (I was clearly the most unskilled!).  It was a euphoric experience; I thought I was having fun practicing and playing by myself, but it sure doesn't compare to playing with others!  Everyone there told me playing with others is the fastest way to improving, so I'm going to do it on a regular basis!  I love it!

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmmm--it seems that "nickles" are pretty much a part of life, aren't they?   Always good to keep things  in perspective.   Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes open.

Sandy, I've ran into a BUNCH of these nickles over the last 60 years and they always make it harder for the new folks to learn. These days I square them away as soon as they start playing their game. May not be the best way, but it works. Enjoy.

Those nickles are generally people who are feeling very vulnerable about their playing.  They need to push themselves up by pushing the beginner down.  The true musicians never has to do this.  My teacher was world renowned -- worked with Andres Segovia, Pepe Romero, taught the LA Guitar Quartet, concertizing guitarists would come to him for tips; but if you met him at a party and asked what he did for a living, he would say, "I play guitar" and then he would turn the focus on you.  After a lesson with him, I always felt like I could climb Mt. Everest. He was much more than a $5 bill, he was one in a million.  So when I run into nickles, I never give them a second thought --- some of them play better than me, some of them think they can but can't.  Life is too short to let a nickel interfere with our wonderful journey in music.  So instead I just move on to all the wonderful people of music that I have met and surrounded myself with them.

Donna, you just nailed it down. I TOTALLY agree with you. Your attitude is what I look for in people I meet. Great to hear from you. Keep on pickin' and grinnin'.

Yeah, I hope to find a jam group--I wish there was a way to put the word out locally--I am sure the folks are out there, I just don't know how to get in touch with them.

I wish I could find a someone to play with here in Western Colorado (Palisade area, to be precise). There is my dad, but I'd like a bit more of a variety of people.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service