Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Ah, the ultimate flatpicking nerd question--well, right after what kind of guitar do you play.

Views: 2554

Replies to This Discussion

Real thick Tortoise shell plectra.
Herco "flex 50" Gold .50mm.
A great Nylon pick with just the right feel for my way of playing!
I keep gravitating back to Dunlop Tortex .50 & .73

Think I'm gonna save up my allowance for one of those Red Dog or Red Bird pics I keep hearin about. Might give it a try.
I have used wedge shape Gibson thins for decades. Play a strong percussive rhythm and the thins allow me to really dig in if the need arises. And yes, I know, thins are noisy. Clicks and clacks but works for me. Like the shape, plenty of area to grab. Since thins will break, I just move to the next edge when that happens. Three picks in one.

Do try other weights and shapes, but always come back to the thins.
My favorite picks are the Pickboy carbon/nylon in a 1mm thickness. My wife just got me the Pearse picks which are buffalo horn, ebony, rosewood, ivory, etc. they seem to be great for articulate phrases, but aren't very good for strumming. They are, however, very cool looking.
Rick
I find the longer I play guitar, the heavier pick I like. Years ago, I was satisfied with whatever medium-gauge pick was laying around. Then I slowly got to the point where I would prefer certain styles or materials. I've been using the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm picks for almost a year now, and I really like them. I've gotten to the point with them that I can get different sounds with how I attack the string with different angles, etc. But I recently picked up some of the 3.0 mm Stubbies, and I'm loving the tone they pull out of my Martin. I was looking at the Blue Chip picks site a few days ago, and it really makes me curious.....but $35 for a pick seems a bit much.
About the Pearse picks, is that the sample pack I've seen advertised in AG? I looked at the web address in the ad, but I couldn't find that particular assortment. I was interested in getting some of those myself.

Richard F. Benjamin said:
My favorite picks are the Pickboy carbon/nylon in a 1mm thickness. My wife just got me the Pearse picks which are buffalo horn, ebony, rosewood, ivory, etc. they seem to be great for articulate phrases, but aren't very good for strumming. They are, however, very cool looking.
Rick
I've been using the Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm standard shape for the past 6 months. They are nearly indestructible.
I acquired a saga golden gates pick and fell in love with the tone of it. then I decided I needed a little more articulation, so I filed both shoulders down to points and found myself slightly closer to the elusive, "perfect tone". Then I decided I needed a pick with some more volume and slightly less low end on the tone, so I sanded the thickness of one of the points down to slightly less than 1.0 mm. Now I've got a pick that sounds like a golden gate, a Fender heavy, and somewhere in between. So I guess my plectrum of choice is a heavily modified saga golden gates. At least until I decide to continue my quest for the grail.
Your experiment matches my own findings.
Tried a lot of different sizes shapes and weights and I keep coming back to .50s,Like I keep seeing here it depends on what you personally prefer in tone and feel.I guess it also has a little to do with the music you play.Peace Hippie
I have only been playing for a year now so I'm just a new player.
I have started making my own picks from hard wood and they seem to work fine. There is a change in sound made from hard wood compared to plastic.

arch

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service