Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

Hi everyone. Hope this finds you well.

After an unfortunate (but necessary) sell-out of gear, I have returned to the land of the living and I will be purchasing a new mic this month for recording acoustic guitar and vocals.

Currently using the Mackie Onyx Blackjack preamp which is excellent. I have an AKG Perception 170 SDC which is not bad, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Past mics I have owned:

• Blue Spark
  • Blue Baby Bottle
  • Blue Woodpecker
  • AKG Perception 120
  • AKG C2000
  • AKG C214
  • Neumann KM184
  • Rode NT5

Of those, my all-time favorite mic for the acoustic guitar is the AKG C214. Close 2nd was the Blue Spark. Oddly enough - all the others were certainly fine but I find I could take them or leave them (yes, even the Neumann . . . one of my least favorite. Too bright in character for my palette).

SO, while my sights are somewhat set on the C214, I have been reading a lot of great reviews of the AT4040 model from Audio-Technica. I am looking hard at their AT4040 Studio Pack with the AT4040 LDC and AT4041 SDC.

So, before pulling the trigger on the C214, has anybody had any experience with the AT4040?

Much thanks!

Regards,

Greg Lygon

Tags: AKG, Acoustic, Audio-Technica, Blue, Guitar, Mackie, Microphones, Studio

Views: 464

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I use an AKG 414 for acoustics and I think it's just the best...but, you have to really listen because it will pickup your heartbeat!  I also have an inexpensive Samson Condenser mic with a switch for three pickup patterns which also works wonderful...sometimes I think it's all in the mic placment!  Edward

I just thought I'd respond as I noticed we have similar setups.  I use a Mackie Onyx Satellite for my interface and I have a pair of AKG Perception 170's.  

Are you looking at stereo recording?  Also, if it were me, having the polar pattern options would be really nice.  

Have fun shopping. 

http://www.davidyoungmanmusic.com

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service