Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I'm fairly new to the various tunings one can use for playing slide guitar.  I'm also new to the concept of more than 6-strings!  Bearing that in mind I just received a Fender Stringmaster D8 which has two necks and each has 8-strings.  I currently have the one neck tuned to C6 (A-C-E-G-A-C-E-G) and plan on tuning the second to A6 which I can only guess at what the notes are.  I think A6 tuning would be F#-A-C#-E-F#-A-C#-E.  Can someone confirm?

I also have a standard 6-string guitar that I've tuned to E (E-B-E-G#-B-E) and have been having fun with that.  What I am finding out with this guitar (an electric) is playing it lap style with a tone bar (a Shubb-Pearse in this case) is it seems the bar is too heavy and you have to be more careful of adding any extra pressure which usually results in a bad sound.  I've played it as a normal guitar with a finger slide with more success.   I am working on getting a straight bass going at the same time as some slide work.  This takes a little more concentration to get the damping behind the finger slide right and still have a clear bass going.  In time...

Meanwhile, I have a Weissenborn guitar on the way that is supposed to be delivered on Monday.  This is a lap steel guitar (Hawaiian style) and I can't wait to hear the sounds it produces.

I'm not sure of the tuning a Weissenborn guitar is normally tuned to.  I do know the Weissenborn I'm getting has Daddario Strings in these sizes: .014, .018, .026w, .034w, .044w, .056w.  Looking around the 'net my best guess is this would accommodate a D tuning. 

John

Views: 4590

Replies to This Discussion

D tuning is a great place to start on Weissenborn guitar! I've got some tabs and instructional stuff on my website if you are interested - www.robanderlik.com

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Rob Anderlik

I TUNE ALL BUT MY CONSOL STEEL GUITAR ( C6-E13 )  MY 3 LAPS ARE TUNED  TAROPATCH ( DGDGBD)

ALL MY 4 STRINGS , 5 STRING BANJO ,IRISH BANJO AND 4 MANDOLINS, AS WELL AS 3 UKULELES ARE TUNED gdae  PEOPLE THINK i'M GIFTED TO BE ABLE TO PLAY SO MANY INSTRUMENTS  IN JAMS.  wHAT THEY DON'T KNOW WON'T HURT THEM  ha  ha

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service