Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I'm thinking of building my next lap steel from some old joists I have.  They are 100 years old or more.  I'm pretty certain they are pine but I have to double check.  The size of the joists are 3"x8" and not nominal size.  So 3" is 3".

Has anyone tried using pine (old growth) to make a lap steel?  I'd be interested to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
John

Tags: building, growth, lap, old, pine, steel, wood

Views: 411

Replies to This Discussion

You might check out a website called www.buildyourguitar.com The guy is in Europe, builds lap steels as well as other guitars, and has a great website with all kinds of help and a great book which is almost all on the site, although I bought it anyway. Also, he has pictures, probably two hundred of them, of guitars people have built using his books and help. Check it out! I do seem to remember that Taylor guitars made a guitar out of oak from a shipping pallette! So, anything is possible! Edward

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service