Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

hey everyone. does anyone have anu experience with this guitar? thinking about buying one but have some questions. any input would be appreciated

Views: 998

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know this model but will look it up and get back to ya!  I am always up for guitar research!  If you get one you will be sure to share thoughts and pics here I hope!  Edward

Here is a link to reviews on Musician's Friend (rave I must say) about this model by owners!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-performing-artist-ser...

Wow, lots of really great features including the gloss finish...Looks like a great deal for the $$$ too...But I like these two utilitarian featrues myself!

• Integrated battery box located between the strap button and jack allows for instantaneous changing of batteries/accessibility
  • Separate output jack allows the player to remove the strap while the guitar remains plugged in

i'm confused...musicians friend says the fingerboard and bridge are ebony but the martin website says they're made of something called "black richlite"...what is that?   i agree edward the on board electronics set-up is nice but the nut and saddle are made of corian and tusq....i;m a alittle leery.............but it does sound sweet.......tempted to spend the extra and just get the d-35

I had never noticed it before, but the entire performing artist line uses Richlite for fingerboards and bridges.  From the Richlite website:

Richlite® is made primarily of paper purchased from FSC-Certified sources and/or recycled paper. The paper is treated with resin then pressed and baked to create solid sheets.

It's used for a variety of things, including as an alternative to Corian for countertops.  Sounds like Martin's attempt to be more "ecologically sound" and I'm sure it's a lot more durable than ebony or rosewood, but I'm too much the purist to buy a guitar made with it.

Mark

Sorry, my last reply contains a factual error.  The top-end models in the performing artist series have ebony fretboards and bridges; the 3 and 4 models have Richlite.

Mark

Depends on whether you want acoustic or acoustic electric.  I have a 40+ year D35 and a GPCPA1.  Acoustic or miked the D35 is hands down my favorite. Amped the GCCPA1 gives it competition. So not a dcpa3 but close so I thought I'd comment.  Also, playing more with others and often play in the 12-15th fret range, even 17th fret, CPA1 best for that.
thanks alot fellas for the input. i've pretty much decided that i'm gonna sit down this guitar and a d-35 and play them both and see which one comes home with me.
Gregory ... I've owned the DCPA4 for a couple of months now and really like it.  It does have the Richlite fretboard which is small a compromise, I suppose, but it is just one of the factors that gets the DCPA4 down into the $1,200 range.  I played the GCPA1 which is absolutely gorgeous, but costs around $2,200. While obviously rosewood, abalone inlays and lots of high gloss make it a more attractive instrument, I really couldn't tell a thousand dollars worth of difference in the sound or the playability between the PA1 and the PA4Knowing this, I played both the GCPA4 and the DCPA4 before settling on the dreadnought rather than the grand concert size because of the fuller sound and the stronger low-end. 

well, i bought the dcpa3 yesterday and the sound is just unbelievable, plugged in and unplugged. now i just have to fugure out how rhese presets work..................................

That Fishman Aura system is pretty sophisticated for sure.  My PA4 has a simple Fishman analog system.  Pretty much just volume and tone.  Another cost-reducng compromise.  You're going to love your DCPA3!!

I'm seeing this thread kind of late, but it still looks like we haven't had  lot of information on the DCPA4. I can tell you the DCPA3 is wonderful for recording. A young lady (who was featured in Martin's Sounding Board) played her DCPA3 with Kim and I both on our CD and for a few shows. It's very sophisticated. If I understand how the Aura works...they put an under the saddle transducer and record the guitar acoustically with a variety of great microphones. Then with some sort of computer technology, they take the under the saddle sound and add the difference between that sound and the under the saddle pick up. It's not a sample...which is why they call it sound modeling.

The DCPA4 is sort of an update on the DC1E which I have. The body is solid sapele, the top is solid Sitka with hybrid X scalloped braces. Where the DC1E has many of the same appointments...except the DCPA4 has sleek looking buttons for the electronics and a more parallel fingerboard that begins at 1 3/" at the nut. These guitars are satisfying acoustically and electrically.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service