Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

How do you know which form to use if your practicing major
Pentatonic. Let's say you locate a C Note then continue following one of the diagramed forms., can you use each of these forms for that C Note all over the fretboard? An douse this go for any Note you select? Using any form for any Note up & down the fretboard.....Is this true? If this Is True, then, would there be a preferred form over the others, or Not? Just whatever sounds good? Great! Ok, do you start your chosen form on the Note you have also selected? Then continue/proceeding with the corresponding diagram of the scale/form/example your using to follow/learn/practice? In other words you start on the note ( example C) an continue from that point, corresponding to your diagram, till you reach a Root Note again? 4-5 Notes on pentatonic.......

It seems like I'm phrasing the question best I can, yet for whatever reason, I never seem to get a yes or no........response, I'm always redirected or have some lengthy confusing response. It just may be impossible to answer, don't know an I may never know how to do this, Scales!

Give it your best shot, please, I mAy catch on. Thanks so much, but don't fry your Cerebellun, like I have. Thanks....

Tags: Scales

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you, I need you! Read the other comments too.....see ya Soon, I hope, thanks.......

hiya I'm so sorry I hate to tease you.

I am so busy today... I won't leave you hanging long

promise

That's ok, I know your valued knowledge, take you time, I'll be here pluckin away, thanks, barefoot....
This whole conversation is very inspirational. Thank you.

ok here i am again, sorry. Too many projects, not enough time.
Let's stop for a moment and talk about scales and chords and how you know when to use which one.
You have no doubt heard the word "key" as in this song is in the key of C.

Let us say that all of "western civilized" music is based on the major scale “do,re,me,fa,so,la,ti,do.” Most songs use a single scale to define the “key.” So a song that we call “in the key of C” uses notes and chords made up of notes of the C major scale. Therefore each chord in the song needs to be made of notes that belong to that scale. Now music isn’t that restrictive you can play whatever you want really, but to sound good to the average listener you will find yourself playing by the rules even if you don’t know what they are. Stick with me. This is confusing.

Let’s use the key of C

cdefgabc
number them 12345678

now you need to understand that
the scale is built using a step step halfstep step step step halfstep
That is why the key of c has not sharps or flats.
If you look at a piano keyboard and start on C the pattern of black keys fits in between all the steps. Playing all the white keys is the key of C.

the major chords are built using the 1,3,5 notes of the major scale for the chord you want
the minor chords are built using the same notes but they lower or “flat” the 3 note.

For instance look at an A chord in the second fret where all your fingers are in a row.
To make it an Aminor you place your first finger on the C (secondstring 1st fret, lowering the C# to a C)
So you can see and hear how this half step makes a huge difference in sound.

Back to the C scale.
For each note of the scale there is an associated chord made up of the notes of the scale.
If you were to write out a major scale for each scale note and check the 1,3 and 5th notes you would then know which chords are major and which are minor. You would use the chord version that uses only the notes of the original scale C. If you write it all out you will find the the 7th tone’s scale needs 2 notes lowered the 3 and 5 to stay within the original scale.

You can do the work or just learn that it is an order of chords that works with every major scale. M m m M M m mb5 M

Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Majo,r Minor, Minor.with a flatted5, Major

Or in this case
C Dm Em F G Am BmB5 C

Ok, this is boring let’s play some blues.

Notice the first the fourth and the fifth chords are all MAJOR chords

Ever hear the term one/four/five or I, IV, V

the standard 12 bar blues uses this pattern of chords BECAUSE they are all major chords.

Now, write out the notes for a C blues scale and in the next post we will begin to understand how this all makes sense.

just so I know that we are talking about the same thing here, an example of a 12 bar blues pattern using major chords here is a youtube video of my song I Hate the Blues, just for fun.

I play it in A fifthfret on my 12 string, which is tuned down a whole step so if you want to play with me you would need to play in the key of B but the pattern would be the same.

4counts of four on the onechord

2 counts of four on the fourchord

2 counts of four on the one

1 on the 5

1 on the 4

1 on the 1

1 on the 5

add up that first column and you get 12 bars

Thanks, barefoot, let me read this a million times, an I'll be right back with you. Hope you been having fun!

Hate to see you having to type so so much. { I am familiar with the notes on the 5 & 6 strings an some others, I spend 3-4 hours a day studying this stuff. I know about the ww1/2, www1/2.......}

I'm trying to figure out when & what Scale to use an where to start and end the solo/run; an how to move it up the fingerboard if I began around the 2or 3 Fret. And starting the move to another scale or up the fingerboard, if the last note I played was ?, am I looking for that note on down the freeboard or the following Note ( what degree).........if you left A on the G string 2 nd fret, are you looking for another A elsewhere or B or any note within the Key your playing in ( maybe your changing Keys, ?....?). (Octaves)

Let me analyze what you said, an I'll be back, thanks, what can I do for you?......

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service