Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

My very first Martin was a D-28S, which I recently replaced with a D-35S, as the 28 was pilfered years ago. Does anyone know if either the D-41 or D-45 were ever delivered in the "S" configuration? 

Alternatively, I've noticed that some of the custom and signature models are 1 3/4" at the nut, but I really like the 1 7/8" nut width on the D-xS models. Was that spacing used on any other Martin models? 

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

The standard size nut for most guitar makers is 1 3/4.  I have several Martins with the 1 3/4 nut.  I also have a Martin Ditson and Martin Custom D-35S with a 1 7/8 nut.  I believe I have seen a D-45 with a slot head somewhere, but not sure about the nut width.

What is the difference between a regular D-35S and a Custom D-35S? 

Also, Is the Ditson a 14-fret neck? That would be su-weet.

The Ditson and the custom D-35S are both 12 fret guitars the same as the D-28S.  The custom D-35S has white binding around the slot head, bone sadddle, nut, pins, and end pin, and it is Waverlly snake head tuners.
Attachments:
Sure is a beauty.
Alan -
According to Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference, between 1969 and 1994 (these years apply to both the 41 ad the 45) there were 18 D-41 (SD-41S) and 24 D-45 (SD-45S) made with a slotted headstock. According to Martin's lists of prefixes and suffixes, all of these were slotted headstock, 12-fret dreadnaughts.

Mark - Great looking guitar!
Wow, with that few of them, they must have incredible price tags when one comes up for sale.
Yes, I think finding one and buying it would be very costly. It might be cheaper to have a custom made.
I'm contacting the factory for that purpose right now.

You can hear a D-45S at Gryphon Instruments in Palo Alto.

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/26364/26364.php

Alan--you would have to go through a dealer to have a custom priced out.  You could contact Jon at My Favorite guitars or the Podium or Willie's Guitars in Minnesota.  They are 3 of the biggest Martin guitar custom dealers.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service