Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I own a National style O, & would like to get some sort of pick -up for it. I'm currently using a SM57 through my P.A.@ gigs, but it's not loud enough when i've got the bass & drum comes in. Heard about the National hot plate on their web site, wonder if its any good?? can anyone tell me???

Tags: gigs, guitar, hot, national, o, pick-ups, plate, resonator, steel, style

Views: 598

Replies to This Discussion

I have never heard of this but you have certainly peaked my interest!  I have a 1946 resonator that I would love to put a pickup in without too much alteration...I'll look into it.  Have you heard much about the Fishman pickups for resonators...I haven't but they do have a great reputation and aren't too intrusive looking.  Edward

Just found this thread where people are talking about the hot plate plus there is one shot with a pickup attached to the plate in an interesting way...I am not too fond of the jack placement though!  These all look like electric pickups and not the acoustic kind I am researching.  I did note that some of these in the pioctures are single coil and some are humbuckers, which makes a big difference inthe sound!  Here is the link:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/acoustic-heaven/167981-electrify-my-reso...

Edward

Jimmy,

I sent my National Radio Bendaway, and tricone to National and had them install a Hylander PU. They are very true to sound and just boom. Contact Jason Workman at National.

I have a Style O and I use a Highlander for it. Its really the only hing - its loud and provides the tone you need. It replaces the whole biscuit, which you can put back later if you like. If you don't want to put a hole in the body for the jack you can use the F hole. Its really fantastic. My friend Doc White (check out Pickin Parlor on Vintage Nationals) uses a hot plate, but he still uses a mic for tone, whiich I don't have to do with the Highlander (which is $100 cheaper).

I ordered a hot plate from Mike Dowling a year ago and installed it on my brown National Delphi (named Brownie Mcgee). I love the sound of it and the plug and play ability. It sounds very true to sound if you run it thru a good acoustic amp like my acoustasonic sfx. It is a passive magnetic, so you have to spin up the volume a little bit. My other 3 Nationals have Hylanders, so they require a committed channel and the active box, but are great sounding and big volume. Hope this helps.

There are some resonator demo tracks on my solo web site:

www.reverbnation.com/patrickmcewen

Hope this helps.

Patrick

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service