Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I'm having a tough time getting used to the feeling of the bottom of the guitar feeling like it wants to "jut" out farther than the top does, because of the rounded back. I hope that makes sense. In other words - it feels as if I'm having to constantly re-adjust the bottom to come in closer so that it won't be played at an angle. I just bought a new Ovation Applause 12-string. after having a regular Alvarez 12-string for 33 years. Maybe it's just going to take some getting used to, or maybe I need to experiment with some different strap lengths.
Any suggestions ?????
Thanks,
DaveC

Views: 123

Replies to This Discussion

One reason some have a little hard time getting used to the back is they just naturally "lean" their right forearm fairly heavily on the upper bout. That has a tendency to push the bottom out a little and even a little bit can be an issue for your fretting hand. Adjusting strap lengths might help a bit as well. Ultimately, the Ovations (and Adamas's) can take a little getting used to but, hopefully, it's not too much of an adjustment. Some guys do find it too much of a bother and just gravitate back to the wood backs. As a guitar player, there are a few rules you probably don't want to compromise too much on - for me, sound and comfort are definitely two of them. Hope you can work it out because Ovation makes some great guitars!
Thanks for the input. I'll experiment with somes strap adjustments, and perhaps strap widths.But it's probably just going to take some getting used to.
Thanks,
DaveC
It IS an adjustment...In the beginning (sounds like the book of Genesis, but I mean for ovation in the late 60's) Ovations had a smooth shiny back and it slipped too much, so they made a little rubber pad that they glued to the back where the guitar rested on your leg and kept it from sliding when you were seated. But when standing it didn't help, so they made the backs textured to help with this, but if you have only played the "box" you will have a tendancy to rest your arm heavily on that lower bout when standing and the Ovations don't like that. John Lennon strapped his Gibson acoustic on high, almost at his chest, probably because it looked cool, but this may help you a little too. Strapping the guiutar higher will move your strumming arm position closer to the end of the body where it will press down in a less troublesome place. I think though in the end that it will just take some getting used to when standing...Also, the harder you push the guitar against your body, the more you hinder the ability for it to vibrate and that deadens the tone. I have a 1978 Ovation Custom Balladeer that I use for some songs and I run into the same problem, and I have an Ovation bass that I use too. But if you are one to switch guitars on stage a lot, and I do, you come to naturally compensate for the different shapes and sizes of the guitars without thinking aobut it...hope this helps, if only as a vote of confidence!
Edward
http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/index.htm
there is a device I saw on a pop-up ad somewhere that attaches to the back of your roundback to make a flat service; think it was on eyeguitar.com?
I remember when I was playing a round backed guitar regularly (it was the worship leaders in the band I played in at church and I would play his elite 1778T when he used his electric) I had this problem and most often I would let the strap out just a touch so that it sat more in my hip joint area and that seemed to stabilize it enough for me. either that or is just adjusted my strumming arms position to a point where it didn't kick it out. Something else to try.
the device I was talking about earlier is called a "Standing Ovation" - saw it on the Ovation Fan Club site here on ning.
Check this out, it's a Ovation with a sculpted back...this looks like the answer to your prayers!

Edward

http://www.billsmusiconline.com/603217.html
Was that a specially built "contour" back? Or do they offer that as an option or something?

Regardless, that's out of my price range.

I've reluctantly decided to play sitting down, eliminating the problem. Probably not a bad idea, considering I'm 56 years old (albeit a "young" 56) and the only live playing I do is with my church worship team. I tried raising the strap - no luck there. And all of the other suggestions. A friend suggested Velcro in some manner, which sounds feasable.

Barbara Ann - I can't find anything about the "standing ovation" you mention. DO you have a link for it perchance?

Thanks,
DaveC
That is the deep contour bowl. I am pretty sure you could get in on just about any model, but you would have to make a special order most likely. It is and nice feeling guitar, but I have never played one while standing either.

Dave
I actually find with my new Applause round-back guitar that the bottom jutting out is a good thing since I don't have any L-shaped guitar cables--at least, not any in good working condition. It keeps the standard cables I use from brushing up against me, since the output jack is towards the bottom of the curved back facing towards my feet.

It's not a terribly difficult thing for me to adjust to, and I'm actually starting to appreciate it more the more I play it.
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I'm actually getting quite fond of sitting on a chair or barstool.
But I did find this site that makes what they call the "Standing Ovation."

http://www.greatscottmfg.com/about_us.html

I'm not sure if I want to shell out $30 though.

Thanks again,
DaveC
Hey Dave,

I had a hard time with my ovation when I first got it, and the only "solution" I found was to play in the classical guitar position (with the guitar over my right leg) and tighten the strap so the guitar just rest there. I don't usually play standing up, but I have and I basically just use my left forearm to push the guitar towards my right side. I hope it helps.

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service