Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

If I Had a Gun (A Love Song) by Edward Sparks/Pepperland Productions

Here is a rough mix of one of my newest.  My writing is all over the place, but I like it that way!  This one is a tongue-in-cheek love song in with a kind of "John Prine meets The Weavers" sound!  

I still need to add the brushes-on-a-snare percussion from the 1st chorus to the end, and of course this is only a rough mix as I mix all the songs at once to keep the sound of a CD consistent. I think this is one that Walt Pilcher will like!  Walt?

As always, thanks for listening!  Edward

Here are the lyrics:

If I had a Gun (A Love Song)  

If I had a gun, I wouldn’t know what to do with it 

It’d probably go off by accident….and shoot someone innocent 

Not something I’d wanna own…Hell, I never even held one 

I wouldn’t know what to do with it…..If I had a gun

I never had a fancy car, with lots of paint and chrome

I’d probably have a accident, just tryin’ to get home

Not something I’d wanna own  might take me too far

I wouldn’t know what to do with it, If I had a fancy car

But when you have true love you find you don’t need much

Just the occasional kiss…..to go with the occasional touch

‘Cause love, it ain’t dangerous or fancy, when it’s true

I don’t need nothing else, now that I have you 

If I had a mansion, I’d get lost on my way to dinner

Take a wrong turn miss my meal and end up….way thinner

Real estate don’t seem so real, never has….never will

I’d get lost way too easy in a mansion on a hill

But when you have true love you find you don’t need much

Just the occasional kiss…..to go with the occasional touch

‘Cause love, it ain’t dangerous or fancy, when it’s true

I don’t need nothing else, now that I have you

No, I don’t need nothing else, now that I have you 

Words & Music by Edward Sparks

Copyright M. Edward Sparks/Pepperland Productions 2011

Views: 60

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

A play by play first listening:

Nice stereo spread on the acoustic guitar.

A banjo in the intro - slightly off center?

Vocals seems too out there.  Bring up the volume a little and pull back the verb.

Hmmm, a w-i-d-e stereo spread on the banjo on the verse.  Did you pull the volume back on the guitar when the rhythm banjo came in?  Try a smaller stereo spread on the banjo to give it its own space.  Sometimes I like doing a spread that is not a mirror - like Left-10 o'clock and Right at 3 o'clock or greater.

Harp.  Sounds great but like the the vocals I think it needs a little presence. [although with subsequent listenings it's growing on me - that's a good thing]

Banjo after harp solo - sound like you moved it more to the right?

John

Again thanks for such a thorough listening!  The stereo spread on the acoustic guitar is using that plug in I told you about called Stereo Spread with reverb, same on the banjo, but yes the banjo is set to the right with a little bleed on the left.  The acoustic uses that same plug in but weighted to the left.  however, I put the acoustic center for the intro where it appears as the only instrument.  The banjo harmonics just add a little flavor until the banjo comes in full.  Yes, I agreed that I definitely need to pull back the vocal level and raise the lead harp in the lead section.  There are actually two harp parts, a high "D" harp for the lead and a low "D" harp for the bed.  The banjo actually never moved to the center once it came in, but I better go back and check that I don't have some rogue automation sneaking in there...shades of TRON!    Again thanks for your dedicated listening and suggestions!  P.S. I posted your CD yesterday First Class as promised so you should get it by weeks end! 

Thanks, Edward     

I have no comment on the mix itself as I'm still trying to find my way with my own.

As for the lyrics, I love them. It's a really good song.

Thanks Dave! As I said, it's a rough mix until I finish tracking them all the other songs.  Edward
Clever and funny is a good mix for me. The fact that it can be both of those and profound too is a big plus.

Edward,

Odd sort of love song! But my overall impression is that I like it. I, too, don't have any comments on the mix as I count that as a weak point I have and know that it is a test. I'll leave that up to those that know.

Like the "occasional kiss and touch" part and "don't need nothing else, long as I have you" refrain. (paraphrased)

Keep having fun writing, it is an important part of the process! Enjoyed the listen again!

Kirk

You're right, Edward -- I like it a lot.  Carol Pilcher (my wife) likes it too. ("Cute!")  I can't comment on the mix because we're listening on her tiny laptop speakers in a hotel room in Mechanicsburg, PA, prior to going to a meeting.  But we like what we're hearing.  It is funny and clever and while at first it doesn't seem deep (and the title cracks me up), it's actually very profound.  Nice work!

Walt

Actually, hearing how it sounds on low quality speakers is a good thing.  I'd say 85% of the listening public either hears music in their car, clock radio, cheap PC speakers - or my favorite - the desk speaker phone with piped music.  If a mix can come through with good clarity on those kind of outputs, especially single speaker ones like a clock radio then its golden.

I have actually made CDs of mixes, taken them into the car, played them on a clock radio and on the TV through a DVD player.  Bass can be very problematic going from studio speakers to a car or clock radio.

John

Ed,

I will also have to pass on talking about the mix cause I sure ain't no expert but as far as the song goes I think it is a sweet, kind of tongue in cheek (the verses) love song. Ending up way thinner- that would work for me. Mix aside I like the use of the banjo in this one-it gives it a happy go lucky feel>

Jeff

Edward,

Now I've listened with headphones, and I think the mix is fine except I agree with John that the vocal could be a bit louder.  It's a really fun song.  Favorite lines:

If I had a mansion, I’d get lost on my way to dinner

Take a wrong turn miss my meal and end up….way thinner

Walt

Great lines indeed!

Gotta get me a mansion :-)
Very catchy! It caught my attention. You could have a hit!

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service