Acoustic Guitar Community

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Community.

I recently purchased a DN3 (my first Taylor) and I love it. The Taylor website mentions cleaning the ebony fretboard with 0000 steel wool, but says nothing about conditioning the wood. I always used Old English Lemon Oil on my rosewood fretboard, but I'm not sure if I should use it on the DN3. Do any of you treat your ebony fretboards, and if so, what do you suggest?

Views: 535

Replies to This Discussion

I have used Fret Doctor on all my guitars.  Use lightly, let it sit, then wipe off excess.

I have a 614CE and a couple of Gibson's that have ebony fretboards.  I use Gibson Fretboard Conditioner on all of them.  I would also recommend using that 4 aught steel wool sparingly and lightly, avoiding the inlays whenever possible.  A clean neck is a fast and happy neck.

Is this what you're referring to? At one of the early Taylor Road Shows (several years back), the amazing Taylor factory technician demonstrated the steel wool fretboard cleaning procedure and then recommended the very sparing use of Howard Feed-N-Wax ONLY on the fingerboard and bridge (both ebony). As also mentioned in the Taylor article linked to above, the rest of the guitar was then polished with Turtle Wax Express Shine.

Another fine fingerboard treatment option is Gerlitz Guitar Honey.

I rotate between the two, using the Howard one time and the Gerlitz the next. Even with treating multiple Taylors, I figure I probably have a lifetime supply with one bottle of each.

And, no, I am not a paid shill for any of the above mentioned firms.

Thanks guys. I contacted Taylor this morning and was told that they use "boiled linseed oil" on their ebony fretboards. They said to use very very little on a small cloth, and to rub it in well, in the direction of the grain. I Google'd boiled linseed oil and found extreme opinions ranging from "it works great", to "I would never let the stuff touch my fretboard".  

What about Bore Oil?

I've recently started using Dr. Duck's Axe Wax on all my guitars, including my Taylor.  The manufacturer recommends using it on all parts of the guitar, from the finished parts as a cleaning/polishing agent, to the bare wood of the fretboard and bridge, to the metal of the tuners.  I'll admit, I was skeptical at first, but it really works well - including as a fretboard cleaner/conditioner.  

RSS

Check Out the Latest in Acoustic Guitar

Free e-newsletter!

Sign up for Acoustic Guitar Weekly—the weekly e-mail newsletter that delivers coverage of players and gear, lessons and technique tips, and advice about performing and recording. Get it now!

Badge

Loading…

FOLLOW US!

Be alerted to the latest articles on AcousticGuitar.com, including lessons, CD, guitar, and gear reviews, how-to tips, and player profiles.

© 2014   Created by Acoustic Guitar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service