10 Reasons to Study Guitar with Susan Palmer
1) Experience: I have been teaching people to play the guitar for over 15 years and I have been the guitar instructor at Seattle University for the past 8 years. I also created and teach "The Rock Project" at Cornish College of the Arts.
2) Dedication: I wrote The Guitar Lesson Companion method book series. These books were specifically designed to be used by students who are working with a good guitar teacher. The books are currently being used in over 10 countries, including by faculty at Berklee School of Music.
3) Innovation: I have produced and published over 100 free lesson and jam videos which correspond to the concepts in my books.
4) Structure: To make clear and consistent progress, teachers need to have a plan for teaching, and students need to understand the plan. My teaching focuses on the fundamentals of music: reading, chords, scales, and theory. I tailor a plan for each of my students that helps them reach their goals quickly and effectively.
5) Accountability: If a student doesn't practice, we talk about it and develop a plan. If a student continues to not practice, I stop teaching them.
6) Professionalism: My blog answers questions that a lot of beginning guitarists ask. One section deals with spotting a terrible teacher.
7) Honesty: There is no single teacher who is capable of working well with every student, but I think that I am able to work well with most students. I network with many other excellent teachers and I am happy to refer students to them when I am not the best teacher for the student. The student's needs and goals always come first.
8) Current: There are new educational resources available all the time, and I do my best to research them and stay up to date in my studio.
9) Successful: Not all of my students decide to use their skills to pursue a professional career in music, but many of them perform often at these and other venues: The High Dive, The Comet, Neumos, Chop Suey, Skylark, The Mix, The Edgewater Hotel, and private events.
10) Passion: I really love being able to make my living by teaching people how to play the guitar. My students pick up on this and they work hard and have fun as they work with me. Be sure to read my Student Testimonials.
THE TRUTH ABOUT GUITARISTS, IT'S SCARY! :)
It's simple: You need a clear and flexible method with plenty of exercises to make learning the tough stuff on guitar easier!
Build a solid foundation of practical skills with Volumes One and Two of “The Guitar Lesson Companion.” These are best guitar method books for serious guitarists to get started and reach their highest playing potential. Written by a University guitar instructor with over 15 years of experience teaching kids, college music students and adults.
Order here and also receive: free picks, free lesson guides, and free online support!
THE GUITAR LESSON COMPANION, VOLUMES ONE & TWO
• The Book for Students Taking Lessons
• Jazz, Blues, Rock and Folk Music
• Electric or Acoustic Pick-Style
• Beginning to Advanced Levels
Note from Susan Palmer: I wrote these books to help students get more out of their guitar lessons and to help teachers save time and be more effective in their studios. I have been frustrated with most method books because they do not follow a clear and progressive structure, they omit important concepts, and there never seem to be enough exercises for students to really learn the material.
While no book works well with every type of student, I attempted to create a method series that would be more flexible than any other books on the market. I also decided that in order for a method book series to truly be successful, it should be used with a guitar instructor; that's why these books are designed so differently than other books you have seen.
These books provide teachers with a basic framework for teaching, but they do not attempt to replace the teacher with pages of explanations, that most students won't read anyway. There are many ways to progress through these books, and it is up to the teacher to discover the ways that work best for each type of student.
Check out some of the video lessons to see if this might be right for you!
"THE GUITAR LESSON COMPANION, VOLUME TWO" LESSON LIBRARY
ONE MINUTE PLAY-A-LONG TECHNIQUE EXERCISES:
SPECIAL TOPIC GUITAR LESSONS: